1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble installing WinXP over Win98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tonejak, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonejak

tonejak Thread Starter

I really hope someone can help! My brother in law gave me his old computer for the kids. It's a HP and running on 98. There were alot of problems with the system, so I decided to put XP on it, hoping to resolve some of the issues. I started out using the setup floppy disks for WinXP, but received an error:

File\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded
    Error code is 7
    set up cannot continue

At this point, I should have done more checking, but instead tried to load XP anyway. It went all the way through the format, and even let me download the service pack, kind of....it went through the whole process of downloading it, but when I checked again for updates, it was still there. Did I mention that my mouse froze up halfway through the format? This isn't a great machine, but for what I was using it for, I hope I can resolve this! I'm not a wiz by any means, but I think this error code that I received in the beginning is the culpret.

Any suggestions?:confused:

2. keebs

keebs

Hey there, Instead of using the disks why dont u boot up the cd its better and faster , just put the cd of first boot mode press enter when it says Boot from cd-rom then just follow the easy instructions and format the hard drive with FAT its going to be better hope this helps if u have any more questions feel free to email me at [email protected] :)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you want to upgrade from 98 or would it be all right to clean it out and start from scratch? You said you formatted. Did that succeed and was it NTFS?

A "clean" installation would be less prone to errors, both during setup and afterward, than an upgrade would.

And, I'm a little confused. If you went through the process of downloading SP1, does that mean that you have XP up and running and went to WindowsUpdate, or was this a dynamic update done over the internet while setup was running?

4. tonejak

tonejak Thread Starter

Yes, it was NTFS. I repartitioned the harddrive so that it was raw, if that's what you meant by a clean installation. And XP did seam to be up and running, but it had issues. My mouse wouldn't work for one, so when I downloaded SP1, I had to use my keyboard, but the download didn't take.
    I did contact Microsoft to see what they had to say, and I found this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812580
    When you get further into to the articles (they do seem to spider) it tells you there may be a bios error and other things. I really hoped someone had this problem before and knew the best way to solve. I'm not really sure what to do, some of it was very confusing.
    And, not to sound like a complete moron, but what is a "dynamic update"?

5. tonejak

tonejak Thread Starter

btw, the computer is not recognizing the internet, so I have been doing my research through my system.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

During setup and during the installation of some MS software (like the Recovery Console as a boot option), setup connects to the internet and downloads any updates to the software you are installing. That is what is called "dynamic update".

It looks like it is a BIOS issue. Many computers that support ACPI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) and came out with an early implementation of it did not support the final implementation of it. This caused some problems with the same memory space being accessed by ACPI as protected mode drivers were using. This can cause serious problems (lock-ups, crashes, data loss, etc.).

The easiest way to deal with this is just to forget installing support for ACPI and install XP on a Standard Computer HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

Sometimes the problem can be solved by installing an updated BIOS, but it is rare that these machines can support ACPI even with an update.

So, the long and the short (too late for that, I guess) of it is that you need to reinstall XP and use the HAL from a Standard Computer.

Do a repair installation or format and install from scratch, if you want. When the prompt appears at the bottom of the page to install any 3rd party RAID drivers, press F7. It won't appear to do anything, but this will skip loading ACPI and install XP as a Standard Computer.

If you press F5 instead of F7 at this point, you will see all the options for types of HAL (in a minute or so, when setup feels like showing you). It only shows 2 at a time, I think, so you need to scroll to see them all. But you can choose Standard Computer there, too, and you will then see what the other options are, if you want.

That should solve your problem with the error message and hopefully hardware and driver issues that you may have, too.

Can you enter the BIOS setup and set it to boot from CD? Not really necessary, but would make life a bit easier. But if you had good luck with the floppy set, you may just want to stick with that.

Good luck.

(If you look in Device Manager now, under Computer, you will see ACPI. After you reinstall and press F7, DM will say "Standard Computer" in that spot.)

PS. It is tempting, I know, to install updates to see if that solves a problem. But as far as SP1 goes, you should install that on a computer that has all its problems solved and that is working properly to avoid problems with that important installation.

7. tonejak

tonejak Thread Starter

Thanks, Elvandil! I'm gonna give that a try. They did recommend something like that on the Microsoft website, but I didn't really understand what they were saying. At this point, I'm not going to check on upgrades for the bios, unless I have to later. My only other question would be that when I do the installation under HAL, will I have to download drivers manually, or will XP still do that automatically?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP has the HAL for Standard Computer. All you need do is press F7 at the right time (keep pressing if you are not sure until setup leaves that page).

9. tonejak

tonejak Thread Starter

Ok, I did it! Everything seemed to go well, my mouse even works! A couple of strange things happened, though. First of all, the internet explorer button did not come up on the desktop (I switched to classic view). So I went into search and found it, then sent a copy to desktop. Internet is working fine. I wanted to check this before I tried to download SP1. After this, I tried to get SP1, everything seemed fine, but it went too quick, once it got to the "Archive files" window, it went right to the download successful screen. I restarted the computer as instructed after it said it had downloaded. But when I went back to updates, SP1 was still there. I went into add and delete programs to see if was there, and it wasn't. I did download a copy of SP1 from the Microsoft website, I think I'll give that a try. I'll let you know.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just out of curiosity, is this the same computer that is having the problems in all your other posts?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

IE is not on the Desktop by default----only the Recycle Bin.

For desktop icons, go to Display Properties, Desktop tab, Customize button. Then you can put the IE icon on the desktop and have the Internet Options with right-click which the shortcut you made will not have.

Congratulations. Looks like you have a few, small things to fix, but you are getting there.

Did you format or repair? Just wondering if this is the same installation that you tried SP1 on before.

If all else fails, you can download the entire SP1a package and then "slipstream" it into your XP CD. This will create a CD with SP1 already installed into it. Then you can run a repair installation and put SP1 in that way.

It would really be worth your time to do this. If you run a repair with a CD that does not have SP1, then you need to go download it all over again. Using a CD with SP1 already in it also means no backup files are needed and you save some spce that way, too.

12. tonejak

tonejak Thread Starter

Hey, Bob. No, this isn't the same computer, but it was from the same family. It was my brother in law's son's computer that I was working on last time. I seemed to have become the family's computer fixer. Not that I mind, I have been learning alot! I haven't had near the amount of issues with my system, but if one comes up, I kept notes!

13. tonejak

tonejak Thread Starter

Ok Elvandil, this is hard to admit! But I was getting a funny feeling about the format I did on my last post to you. I couldn't remember actually when I hit F7, because, like you said, it doesn't do anything. (I'm rolling my eyes too!) Different issues kept coming up, so, I reformatted again. Paying much more attention this time, and it worked great! There were no problems downloading any criticals or putting in programs. It's running a little slow, but then it is an older computer! (Can't have everything!) Thank you very much for all of your help!

P.S. Happy Birthday

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can tell if the F7 succeeded by what it says under "Computer" in Device Manager. If it says "Standard Computer", then you must have hit it at the right time.

But I'm glad to hear you got everything working. It's better to do it now and get it right than to realize that you should have done it after installing 100 programs.

There are a lot of tweaks that you can use to speed things up on older computers. Getting rid of all the "eye candy" helps a lot, unless you want to keep it, of course. But there is plenty of time to tweak now that you have the OS purring.

Congratulations.

(Thanks for the b-day wishes!)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!