1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble installing XFX geForce 5200 PCI drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingcobweb, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingcobweb

kingcobweb Thread Starter

Short version:
    Any driver I try to install for this- the companies or unnoficial ones- gives me an error.

Very long version:
    I order the retail version of said package fo $80 for my Dell Dimension 2400 (POS, I know) that runs WinXP home, and try to install it. It turns out I don't have the power supply for it, so I go buy a 300w PSU for $50. So now, it detects the card- add hardware wizard comes up at startup after I uninstall the integrated graphics driver- but when I select the driver to install for it, it says "no hardware information present" or something similiar (I would give exact error, but I would have to disable integrated video, reboot, go through add hardware wizard, reinstall old drivers, and reboot again). This happened with the driver included on the CD, the latest driver from the company, Omega drivers, and Starfall drivers. All the same thing. If I plug the moniter into the card anyway, it's idle (like what happens when the moniter is turned on and plugged into a shut down computer).

Please... I beg of you people... don't let this $130 I couldn't really afford to spend in the first place go to waste!

2. dai

dai

reboot in vga mode and install the drivers from the setup disk

3. kingcobweb

kingcobweb Thread Starter

Sorry, but what's VGA mode?

4. dai

dai

in appearance it looks like safe mode.
    when you boot up press f8,this will bring you into the boot options menu
    where you can choose vga mode
    booting in this mode stops windows from reinstalling the drivers you want to get rid of

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!