Trouble installing XP after installing WD 120 GB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dwit

I purchased 2 compaq Deskpro EN P550's w/10GB drive CD ROM and ethernet card. The OS had been stripped from the systems. I was able to install XP Professional on the first without difficulty. On the 2nd, I removed the 10GB and put in a WD 120 GB drive and a Mad Dog CD RW DVD ROM drive. The computer recognizes the installation CD for the WD HD and formats it.

However, whenever I put XP install disk in or the Mad dog disk. Nothing happens. XP won't install nor are other CD's recognized.

How do I resolved this problem? By the way, I have no recovery disks as there was no OS at the time of purchase.

What did you format the disc with? . . The XP Disc will set partitions and format prior to installing . . if you used some thirdparty program to do it, that could be the problem.

wrs

So the CD etc drive reads the WD CD but not your XP install CD. Is this XP CD read OK in the other system? I imagine the answer is yes but is the problem system set to boot from the CD drive.

dwit

Yes, I tried the CD in another system to make sure it was functional and it attempted to load once I placed it in that system's drive. The problem system is set to boot from the floppy, then the CD and the hard drive is last.

Enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

wrs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online