1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble installing XP for reformatting - hanging & shutting down by itself

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cammi, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cammi

cammi Thread Starter

I'm fixing my friend's computer (which I ended up deciding the problem was way too bad (it ate up the anti virus)) and did the following:

* Used dban to fully wipe the disk - apparently the computer had been reformatted before, but problems that were occurring before the computer was reformatted was still occurring

* Got a copy of XP and tried to install it onto the computer. it's having a lot of problems installing XP for some odd reason. sometimes it just hangs in the initial screen or the computer shuts off by itself.

i just got through to the last stage of the blue screen (after it loads all the drivers up, then formats the partition then does something else) and it was supposed to restart, but after like 10 minutes (or more) it didn't start..... I noticed that the HD wasn't doing anything either.

what do i do now? i can't seem to get past this initial blue screen.

the computer is about 4-6 months old apparently, and was bought brand new. it is an Acer 6230 (or is it 6320?)

one of the problems that kept occurring was that the computer would just shut down. I thought that it may have been her power management settings for the comp initially, but she told me that the computer shuts down when she's typing a Word document and doesn't auto-save it so she has to start all over again.

I've ruled out that it shuts down because it's too hot. I know the other reasons for computers shutting down when it's not supposed to are to do with the power supply or the actual computer itself. I don't think it's to do with the power, even though we are in Australia and the computer was bought in Taiwan as we have a steady supply of power here. Do you think it's the actual computer itself and she needs to go to the Acer Repair Centre and get the computer's drives/chips fixed?

2. cammi

cammi Thread Starter

Sorry it's an Acer 3620.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!