1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble installing XP on 2 hard drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sbilheimer, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbilheimer

sbilheimer Thread Starter

My son's computer has two physical drives. The C: drive was running ME and was just a mess. I wanted to install XP (I have a full version). When I did that, it installed on the D drive, and didn't give me a choice. Now, when booting up, you can choose to go into XP (D), ME (C), or Install XP mode (no idea why).

What I want to do now is to completely reformat both drives and start over.

But I cannot boot up to the dos prompt to get to the C drive.

And, I'm embarrassed to say, I couldn't understand when I started the XP install, whether to format the partition. But it was only showing the D drive.

Can anyone either instruct me or guide me to where I can find instructions on how to do this?

I don't have a boot disk, so need one. But I thought I'd be able to do this with the XP disk (that's what I was told). However, if I can't get to the C drive, I don't know what to do.

Also, the newly created XP D drive doesn't recognize sound card, etc.

Thanks so much,

Susan

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You do not need a boot disk, you boot the computer with the XP CD in the CD Drive. As long as the CD Drive is set in the BIOS to be above the HDD in the boot priority it will boot from the CD, giving you the options.

If it does not boot from the CD into the XP Install screen, then you need to go into the BIOS Setup at boot-up time and alter the boot options so the CD is above the HDD in the priority.

3. sbilheimer

sbilheimer Thread Starter

I tried that the other day, but got confused on how to alter it. It's in the Advance, right? But can you please just give me a bit more information on changing that? Also, will I be able to then get to C: drive to reinstall, rather than D? Thanks, Susan

4. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

what u have done is put a multiple boot on your hard drive. When u install xp as an upgrade, it is notorious for going to the next available drive, d in your case. When u go into the bios and click advanced, you should see 1st boot second boot etc. Highlight the first boot with the up and down arrows, then use the + - keys to switch to cd rom.
    Put the xp disk in the drive restart and follow the instructions.
    let us know how you get along

Cheers

Gus

PS you should still be able to get into ME by choosing c when you see the screen with the options, ME C. XP D,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!