1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Making Mailing Labels

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bizwiz2, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

I am trying to print some mailing labels using Word. To do that, I have to use the Mail Merge function. My data source is a list of addresses in a Word document in the following format:

XYZ
    123 Main
    Anytown, MO 12345
    Attn: So and So

I'm trying to print to Avery labels 8160 which has 30 labels to a sheet. Each label is supposed to be a different address.

I follow the instructions in Word's help file. When I get to the step where it asks me for the data source, I select to open my Word document as the data source. A box opens with three windows in it. The first is field delimiter, the second record delimiter, the third contains my list of addresses from my data source. I'm not sure what to put for the delimiters so I leave them as they are--field delimiter: none, record delimiter: enter. I tried other combinations like tab for the field delimiter but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I click on OK. I get another box to set up main document. I do that. Then the next step is a box titled Create Labels. Here I choose Insert Merge Field. A drop down appears. Only the first line of the first address appears. I select it & click OK. Then I set up the main document. The final step is to click Merge Labels With The Document.

Here's the problem: When I click Merge, I end up with two documents. The first document has the first line of the first address printed on all the labels. In other words just the name of the place I'm mailing to that appears in the first address is printed on all the labels. It looks something like this <<Next record>><< XYZ>> That's all that appears on all the labels.

The second document has all the addresses printed out, but they're not all completely on the label. Some are as they should be, name, address, city, state, zip, attn all on one label. But many have each line typed on separate labels--name on one label, address on next label, etc. Also, I get all these messages telling me that record x is empty. I don't know how many of them all together, but there's a bunch---record 4 is empty, record 9 is empty, record 12 is empty, etc. There must be about 20 of them that appear.

What's going on and how do I fix it? Thanks.

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

do you have the Avery "Wizard" installed? it ussually comes with the office suite (depending on version) Look on the tool bar for a red triangle shape with lines, or check to make sure it is on you tool bar....View/Toolbars...check off Avery Wizard (if there).

I like using it for labels, you can import from Excel, look for the Steps to "use existing list or database file"

3. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

oh I see your names are in another word document, I haven't tried it with a Word document, but it may work because word files are in the list of file types.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice