1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Navigating

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by K-Man, Sep 12, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Okay... This "Active X" stuff is making it difficult to navigate this site. Whenever I want to move to a new part of the site, I have to hold my breath, and see if it will load. If I get an active x message, then click the ok to get rid of it, I get only the hourglass after that. My progress bar doesn't move. I can hit the stop button, then the back arrow, and then try again, and that mostly works... but not always.

I posted another thread about active x in the security section, but that one is a different type of question, so I hope you don't think I'm double posting. I just wonder why it does this on this particular site. Is it the advertisements? I've noticed that I tend to have more trouble with this when a site has more ads.

I'm not complaining about the site. The site is great! :)

2. hewee

hewee

Stop using IE and get firefox.

3. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Mozilla? Yeah, I've heard good things about it... but I see an awful lot of threads around here, which are about people's compatibility issues with it.

I'd like to try it, but not just yet. I have no way to backup my system, and no original software disks either! I need to get a CD-RW, but am having issues with finding one for windows98. Everything wants 98SE.

I just don't want to chance causing a problem I can't fix, because I don't even know if I could get a replacement for my 98 OS, and this ole' machine is only a PII 350Mhz. I don't know if it could handle the resource demands of a newer OS.

Thanks for the advice, but is there anything else I can do?

4. hewee

hewee

You can find a CD-RW or DVD-RW that burns CD's too for 98 if you look around becuse I have 98 and got a TDK DVD burner and it works on 98.
    But lots of the brands and models will not.

So you better go looking if you have no original software disks because someday something can happen and you may lose everything and if you have no backups then it's all gone.

Another thing is a bigger or 2nd hard drive you could get. Then again have more hard drive and a burn would be even better. :)

5. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

I'm still having trouble here! Half of the time, when I move from one part of this site to another, I get a message about Active X. I KNOW my internet security settings don't permit Active X, You silly IE error box!

Still; this is a nuisance. Can anyone tell me what sort of Active X scripting is taking place on this site, and why it seems to be such a problem? :confused: :(

6. hewee

hewee

Maybe your IE setting need to be changed to not promp you. But there are more then one for Active X so I don't know what one to change.

I used the settings for IE from one of these sites but forget what site it was.

Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/btw/ie/ie-opts.htm

I think I used this one here.

INTERNET EXPLORER 6 SECURITY SETTINGS

http://www.tpsconsulting.com/tips4.htm

I do get a promp using IE for things but I only use IE for MS updates and only if I have to, to get to some site.

7. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

There are 5 different settings related to Active X.

1. download signed active x scripts
    2. download unsigned active x scripts
    3. initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe
    4. run active x controls and plug-ins
    5. script active x controls marked safe for scripting

These are ALL checked 'disable'.

I had it set to prompt me before, but I always said no to the thing anyway, so it was a total pain. I suppose I need to figure out which of these I need to enable for this site, and set up a different version of my security protocols under 'trusted sites', and add this site to the 'trusted' list.

I've been avoiding all those sorts of setup issues, but I guess they need my attention, eh? :rolleyes:

Thanks hewee!

8. hewee

hewee

Hope the web links help you out so you can keep your setting high but keep from having trouble at site like tsg.

Not using IE I don't see the trouble but if I go to MS Update I get a pop-up on Active X and I have to click Yes or I can't do a scan.
    I only have two sites in the trust list and they are the MS Update. Before adding them I had to turn off the Active X I was blocking with Zone Alarm Pro and do the update and then go back and block the Active X etc again. Pain in the rear.

9. RandyG

RandyG

just FYI, regarding OS' on your 350 system . . . I have a PII350 running 512MB RAM using Win2k and it runs fine. Make sure you have plenty of RAM, though.

as to your Activex settings, here's what I use . . .

1. Prompt
    2. Disable
    3. Disable
    4. Enable
    5. Enable

You don't need to add TSG to your trusted sites.

10. hewee

hewee

Have have...

1. Prompt
    2. Disable
    3. Disable
    4. Enable
    5. Prompt

11. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

This is getting to be ridiculous! :mad:

NOW, I'm getting messages about UNSAFE active x controls on THIS site. What is going on here?!

I don't mean to complain about this, but I've never been told any of the controls were UNSAFE on this site before. I just posted a question about a friend's website, pertaining to the same problem. Is my IE just messed up, or what?

Can someone PLEASE help me with this? :(

12. brindle

brindle

K-Man
    You can install all the browsers you want without effecting anything. Try Mozilla and Opera.

13. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

How does this help me? :confused:

14. brindle

brindle

"Mozilla? Yeah, I've heard good things about it... but I see an awful lot of threads around here, which are about people's compatibility issues with it.
    I'd like to try it, but not just yet."

This is all I was addressing. I might not of been paying attention but I haven't heard of compatibility issuses with alternate browsers. Linux maybe.

15. K-Man

K-Man Thread Starter

Sorry Brindle... maybe I should clarify:

Even if Mozilla will work on my system, how will it affect the active x issue?

I've thought about Mozilla since day one, but I only have so much hard drive space available (about 1.6 Gig, currently), and don't want to use it up if it won't end my problems.

I know there are "marked" active x controls, which are labled as "safe", and there are "unmarked" controls, which MIGHT not be. According to the people at Spybot though, even those marked as safe can be a window for malicious code.

I guess what I'm asking is: does Mozilla deal with active x differently somehow?

Sorry to be such a pain. I'm just trying to understand this stuff.

Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice