1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble networking with Linskys

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mike293, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike293

mike293 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am trying to network two Dell Windows XP computers. One upstairs is connected directly to a cable modem and a Linksys SRX 200 router. The computer downstairs has a Linksys PCI adapter. A Mac laptop is also on the network.

Everything worked fine and dandy on the network with when we used an older Linksys router but when we got an upgrade the XP machine downstairs can no longer connect to the network or internet.

I've tried using the XP network wizard and that doesn't seem to do anything. I honestly don't know the first step in fixing this. AOL is on both comptuers and, I think, some of the settings were managed by Port Magic. Also, I can't find the IP address on the machine, only a "physical address."

It should be noted that I'm a "Mac guy," obviously still wet behind the, err, Windows.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. onsite

onsite

is the new os machine downstairs wired or wirelss ?
    did the drivers install correctley for the wireless card ( assuming wireless) ?
    I have encountered old linksys wireless cards that there is not drivers for xp
    you might want to check system in control panel, hardware, then device manager. Lokk for
    " X" or " ! " next to hardware...or unknown devices, also look for your card by name in device manager.

3. mike293

mike293 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Got a little tied up at work and put this computer project on hold.

Everything appears to be OK in the device manager, with the Linksys adapter appearing under network adapters. The upstairs network also shows up in the Wireless Network Connection area but whenever I try to make a connection, there's a very long pause and nothing happens. The connection is not password protected and the firewalls are turned off.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice