1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble networking XP to two win98 via router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by melonhead, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Hi!

I have had three computers networked via router. One of my computers crashed and I just purchased a computer with Win XP. I have followed all the instructions for networking, ie. chose the option that the compter goes through a router wtih all individual connections to the internet. Made the disk to use on the other computers so that they would be recognized. Now I don't see any computers on the network. In the past, I used Netbeui to finally make the connection, but can't even find that option for the XP.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Del

Del

The files necessary for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. Complete the following steps to install NetBEUI:
    Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and browse to the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
    Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.
    Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

NOTE: To make a hidden folder viewable, perform the following steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then press ENTER.
    Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    Under Advanced Settings, click Show hidden files and folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties.
    On the General tab, click Install.
    Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
    Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.
    The NetBEUI protocol should now be installed and working.

3. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Del. I had read the great detailed instructions you had given to another user.

Unfortunately, the HP computer does not come with an Windows XP disk. In fact, it doesn't even come with a system restore.

I searched my computer for netbeui, but only came up with text documents. One which said this version of Windows was not compatible with netbeui and to go to microsoft's website.

I think there must be something that I am missing as I am trying to network. Do you think I need to remove Netbeui from the other computers.

My router is also an older model, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Thanks!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Here's a site to get the files from on the net, they're only about 55k ZIPped. NETBEUI Install Files. Just click on the Zipped Files link.

5. telepro21

telepro21

Let's get back to the basics.

Start by insuring that each computer is running the TCP/IP protocol. Does your router handle automatic IP address assignment via DHCP? If so, then set up each PC's network interface to automatically obtain an IP address.

After each PC has an address, (Verify by running ipconfig in a Command window for XP and 2000 , verify with Start-->Run-->winipcfg for Win9x OS's) see if you can ping each machine and the router from each of the machines. Ping can be performed from the DOS command line by typing ping www.xxx.yyy.zzz where the variables are replaced by the IP address of the target PC. If your ping test shows replies from all systems and the router, then you have established basic connectivity on your LAN. If your router does NOT do NAT (Network Address Translation), then you will have to set up some form of ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) amongst your hosts with one PC elected as the Main.

In order to share files and printers among your networked computers, you will have to enable File and Printer sharing in My Network Places, LAN Connection, Properties for each PC.

Finally, can you provide some information on your router and your internet setup?

Let us know what happens.

- Telepro21

6. JohnWill

telepro21, XP was designed to use DNS for name resolution, and frequently in small workgroup settings, it has difficulty browsing. In most cases, just adding NETBEUI will solve the problem, that's why you see us recommending it so often. :)

7. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Yahoo!!!! I downloaded the netbeui files and it is working perfectly.

I think it is crazy that it was that difficult to network on XP. Why did Microsoft decide not to support netbeui? That was always so simple before.

A couple of questions I had from this. When I ran the IP Config command, it blinked on and off the screen so fast I couldn't even read it. I did find it by playing around in my network connections, but is there another command to make the window with the IP address remain open.

Also, since I've just starting using XP, I'm not familiar with everything. I couldn't find where to get to a dos command. Do you know how to do that.

Also, Del, you probably know this but you can get to Explorer just by right clicking on the start button instead of typing it in the command line.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!!!

8. Del

Del

Surfing = tcp/ip
    Fiel and Printer Sharing = NetBeui

Maybe not the only way to do it, but the easy way..

9. telepro21

telepro21

I believe that you can open a Dos window by going to Start-->Run-->and typing "cmd" (no quotes) then click OK. This is how it's done in Win2K and I believe they're similar.

Glad to hear everything's fine now!

10. JohnWill

It escapes me why they dropped it without a decent solution to workgroup computing, since it's become so popular! I only hope that it comes back to bite them in the butt, since they're so pig-headed about it. :mad:

11. Del

Del

In Win 98 and ME you type in command in the run window, in NT, 2000, and XP you type in cmd.

12. JohnWill

Well, to be technical, you can type COMMAND in the run window for NT/2000/XP and still get a command prompt, try it. :D

13. Wino

Wino

I am no networking expert (mostly because I've had no major problems with my network), so this is a serious (not flipant), question.

I have (5) machines with cable RR networked using TCPIP thru a Linksys wireless 4-port router with nary a NetBeui activated anywhere. (1) laptop and (1) PC with WIN98SE, (1) PC with WIN98FE, (1) laptop and (1) PC with XPHE. I used one of the XPHE machines wizard to set everything up, with each machine connecting directly to internet (all machines can be on or only one on and can access internet). I share files and printers between all.

The only problems I encountered was ZA firewall not allowing connections and got that resolved and couldn't get the WIN98 machines working until I re-enable some required networking files I had disabled using MSCONFIG, also resolved. Since then, have never looked back. My LAN works flawlessly and the only problems I've had recently were caused by RR being down or screwed up - once they correct their problem, network is again AOK.

So why is there a need for NetBeui for anyone setting up a network?:confused:

14. Del

Del

If you're connecting thru a router or hub, NetBeui is just a fast and easy way to share files and printer between the networked computers.
    Install it, go to each computer and setup the drive for sharing.

15. Wino

Wino

Del, thank you for the response.

However, it was just that simple for file and printer sharing using TCPIP as described in my earlier post. My puzzle (confusion) is why I can fully network five different makes of machines using three different OS's (realize that not much difference between FE & SE) and others can't and must use NetBeui to be successful? Just trying to understand.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/120322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice