1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Opening a dat. file

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kleinbrave, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kleinbrave

kleinbrave Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1640, x64 Family 15 Model 127 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1790 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 2100, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 145094 MB, Free - 85600 MB; D: Total - 145141 MB, Free - 134695 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, RS740DVF
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

I am having trouble opening a "dat" file. I have read much information about the Set Association, etc. and am still confused. Can you help me please? The person who sent it to me said I should use a Adobe Reader, but this is not like this. I know about pdf. files and can open them, etc. but not this dat.file

2. ibrahim0512

ibrahim0512

.dat files indicate a file that has arbitrary data. That means it's not associated with any one particular program or application. When you see a file with a .xls extension, you know it's referring to an Excel file, and so on. But with .dat files, you have to figure out how to open it yourself and it may not be the same program each time. The first program I'd try opening it with is notepad but since the person who sent it said to use adobe reader, try opening it with adobe reader!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice