1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble opening files - told to "save as" instead

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DGXP, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGXP

DGXP Thread Starter

Hi all! I have a strange problem here I've never heard of before...

When I try to open a program in Windows XP via my Start Menu, by using the normal method of left-clicking on a file name, instead of opening the file, it opens a "save as" box asking me to save the file! The only way I can open the file is by using right-click and then selecting "open with" and the relevant program.

It's been acting this way for a month or so... Otherwise I haven't noticed any current glitches. Any suggestions how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Here's my general data:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU U2500 @ 1.20GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 3451 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0TJ984
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Try R Click >> Open With >> Choose Program .. and choose the pgm you always want to open it in ...
    Make sure the "Always Use ..etc ...." Box is checked

Attached Files:

• AA.jpg
      AA.jpg
      File size:
      57.8 KB
      Views:
  3. DGXP

DGXP Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

When I follow your directions, I am not given any box to check for "Always use." It just lists the possible programs and allows me to choose one. If I do, then it simply opens the file.

Another detail: When I R-click and choose "Open," I have the same problem as if I simply L-click the file name: a box opens asking me to "Save as."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!