Trouble playing ASF files and Windows Media Player

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Martin2k5

Hello,

I have a memory card camcorder that records video as .ASF files (MPEG4 I think too) and until now have had no problem playing back the video files that I have recorded.

I've recently had to do a full system wipe of my computer due to various issues. Now I have a bang up to date version of Windows Media Player 10 as well as all the codecs packs. However the .ASF videos just won't play properly, the videos stop and start every second with huge gaps in between each frame. Windows Media Player also crashes with playing these files, I tried RealPlayer which also delivers exactly the same results.

I'm totally stuck with what to do,

Thanks for any help you will be able to give me in advance,

Martin

Sounds like it might be a codec problem. Do a google search for a program called gspot (you can guess why I won't do one at work -.-;; ) It opens a file and reads what codec's its trying to use. Giving that output about the audio and video codec would let us know what those files are using in particular and can hunt down a way to fix it.

Martin2k5

Thanks for the reply,

I downloaded the program and ran the .ASF through it. However it is not a recognised format for the program, most of the boxes display "n/a".

The boxes that do have information are as follows:

Stream type: video/x-ms-asf

DIRECT SHOW RENDER:
Video Src Type: 4cc: m4s2
Audio Src: DVI_ADPCM (0x0011)
Video Path: (S) --> ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder --> (R)
Audio Path: (S) --> ffdshow Audio Decoder --> (R)

I did try installing ffdshow but this didn't do anything and windows media player is still being sluggish.

Thanks again,
Martin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online