1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Re-Installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by re_evolution, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. re_evolution

re_evolution Thread Starter

I'll try to not get into too much detail here on the problem I am having, since I have a habit of overstating things.

I am getting blue screen stop errors when trying to install Windows XP Pro. The error is the well known 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA (number I am sure of, but that text may not be exact). It happens in the section of the install that says registering components, that's the closest I know of exactly when it is occurring. Here's what I have been through so far.

All Peripherals are unplugged at this point. I have 2 CD roms and 2 HD's, but only one of each are plugged in. Sound card is unplugged, as is the firewire card. The only other thing connected (besides the basics) is the neons on the case I have and the front LCD display of the case.
    I have tried different combinations of the 2 CD drives and HD's I have. Errors seems to be consistent when switching between them, but I have tried so many different things it's hard to tell at this point.
    I reseated the RAM, and tried moving it to another slot. No help. Also, I booted up memtest+ and let it run for about 8 hours (it went through the cycle of tests about 20 times), and it found zero errors.
    The Windows XP Pro CD I am using is just about brand new, and doesn't appear to have any scratches.

I have received a few other errors in some of the attempts I have been through as well. File copy errors (but these seem to have gone away after disabling DMA and lowering the PIO mode), and COM+ errors (these also seem to have gone away). The most common error I have been receiving though is the previously mentioned stop error. I know RAM is famous for being the cause of this error, but I am confident that is not the case after seeing the results of memtest+. I just don't know what else to try.

Here are the specs I am using:

Asus P4S8X-X socket 478 motherboard (I am not positive on this, but this is the closest match I could find. I need to do more research to figure out exactly whast is in it.)
    P4 prescott CPU 3.0 (Once again, I'm not quite positive of the speed)
    1GB PC3200 RAM
    RADEON 9700 video card
    2 CD rom drives (these are very old, so is there way the CD rom could be the cause of my problem??)
    2 Hard Drives (One is a very old 60GB western digital, and the other is some kind of quantum fireball 20gb that is also quite old. So could this also be a failure point??)

That is currently what I have hooked up in the system (except only one CD rom and HD). Like I said, the CD roms and HD's are pretty old, but I consistently get errors when trying both of each.

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. I'm at my last rope here, and I just need to get this thing running for the next 3 months or so for school (until mac os 10.5 comes out, then I'm buying an iMac). Thanks in advance.

2. re_evolution

re_evolution Thread Starter

Just wanted to let you guys know, I am still having this problem.

As an update, it's down to producing the 0x00000050 stop error almost everytime during the registering components section of the install, or shortly after that. I have not made it any further than that in the install without getting that stop error.

Also, I bought a brand new hard drive, and got the same error. So I think it's safe to say the hard drive is not the problem.

To reiterate, the RAM has been tested with memtest+ over about 10 hours showing zero errors. Is it safe to assume RAM is not the problem?

So, that only leaves the motherboard and the processor. Does anyone know of a reliable diagnostic utility that can be used to test these two components? Something I can boot straight into (since I have no Windows to work in!). Also, I suppose the issue could lie with the power supply, but I don't see how a power supply problem can cause this error to be consistent. It seems to me that power supply problems usually are pretty erratic and unpredictable. But I have another power supply I can try.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to try? I appreciate the help.

3. unbidden

unbidden

Are you installing to a clean formated hard drive?

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    double check your windows cd disk it may not have scratches but it might be dirty. it cant hurt to check.

5. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

Try booting from the cd again, deleting the partion and doing a full format.. then re-installing XP..

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    the only other thing i can think of is that you said your hard drives are kind of old they may be failing or already failed or and this is going way out on a limb is if youve put any thing new in your computer you might have to reactivate your copy of windows. i know if you have windows xp home edition you do when you change something crucial but i dont know if that applies to xp professional. let us know what happens or if you need further help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!