1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble reading CD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Canajaneh, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Canajaneh

Canajaneh Thread Starter

My D drive doesn't seem to recognize CDs I (or friends) have burned in the past. I keep getting the message "Please insert a disk into Drive D".

It does recognize/read commercial CDs.

There is nothing wrong with the CDs it does not recognize because I have tried them the computer at the Community Centre.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks.

2. dai

dai

you have probably used a poor quality disk or you could try a lens cleaner if it is only your computer that is not reading them

3. Canajaneh

Canajaneh Thread Starter

I'm using Sony CDs. If I insert a new Sony CD it recognizes it.

I got one CD with photographs on it from my son and my D drive won't recognize it!

4. dai

dai

did you burn this cd or your son,is this the cd that you can see on the comm/centre comp.
    you could use this to try and recover and reburn
    http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its to do with the reflectivity of the dye substrate used in the different brands of CD, plus the output of the laser in the drive.

The lasers power drops of with age/use and the dye varies between makes of disks.

Its particularly noticeable with CD-RW disks.

There is not much you can do apart from choosing media that is recognised by your drive, or replacing the drive.

6. vesselle

vesselle

depending on the make and model of your CDRW, you may be able to update it by looking for a firmware update on your manufacturer's site.

have you cleaned your CDRW? not the disks, but the unit itself. they make special insertion devices that clean it out. it may be just that simple.

i'd try these before i dumped the drive. :)

V***V

7. Canajaneh

Canajaneh Thread Starter

Thanks, dai, kiwiguy and vesselle

Dai – the CD I can read on the com.centre computer is the one my son burned – I can also read others that I have burned at the com.centre.

Kiwiguy – These are CD-Rs that I’m having problems with. I stopped using CD-RWs after problems with Roxio. I have gone back to using Easy CD Creator 4.

Vesselle – My CD burner is a Matshita (?) and it’s an all-in-one – CD ROM and CD Burner. Haven’t cleaned the drive since I bought the computer end 2001 – wouldn’t know where to start!!! Will check out Staples and Future Shop. Will also check out the Matshita website and hope I can figure out the firmware bit.

Thanks for your help -

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice