1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble reading shared file in server from workstation

Discussion in 'Networking' started by insarver, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insarver

insarver Thread Starter

I need help solving this problem,
    Recently I had networking my two computers together. Computer A [server] with Win XP Prof.+ SP2, Pentium 4 2.8 GHz. Computer B [workstation] with Win XP Prof. + SP2, Pentium II 350 MHz. Fast ethernet cards were installed on each computer and connect with a 4 ports swich. Computer B has Realtec RTL 8139 fast ethernet card. A telephone modenn is attached to Computer A. I ran windows networking wizard and use floppy disk method to install the Computer B. I turn Firewall off on both computers. It appeared that the networking is successed as I can view shared documents [containing shared picture, shared video and shared music] of both computers from either one. When I clicked on control panel >network connection, the diagram on both computers indicated that the local area network functioned. The problem is that after I made a new folder [I shared it and allowed maxium permission to view, edit data from other computer] for shared data file on copmuter A, I cannot access this file from computer B. Message " you do not have the right to this path ". Detail " you do not have right to \\ computer A name\new folder\sub-folder file. I never set up the administrator or user on either computer as they will be use in family. This shared folder has permission for everyone, users besides owner. I can ping from each computer with replies. I ran ipconfig on each computer:
    Computer A Computer B
    DHCP enable no yes
    IP address 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.100
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
    default gateway [blank] 192.168.0.1
    DHCP server 192.168.0.1
    DNS server 192.168.0.1
    Just for a trial, I have created another folder on Computer A with diffrent name and it does not made any difference. Computer B cannot read this file neither. I double click ths folder icon on Computer B [shown on Computer B when I click the "my network connection" on desktop screen] and it won't let me access.
    Please help. Amy solution besides reformat the hard disks and re-install every things.
    Thank you,

2. Compaq__

Compaq__

Is the folder you are trying to access SHARED? Make sure the EVERYONE FULL CONTROL is set on the SHARE permissions of the folder.

Go into the SECURITY tab of the folder and make sure EVERYONE is there and give them FULL CONTROL permissions.

(I would never recommend doing this on a larger network but since it is just a home network, this is the easiest way to troubleshoot. We can bring down the access rights once we figure out what is going on)

3. insarver

insarver Thread Starter

Thank you Compaq_ for looking into my thread.
    The folder on server computer that I am trying to access is shared t EVERYONE and also to USERS[\server computer's name. They were given permission in security for FULL CONTROL/READ/WRITE. I have surveyed this forums and other help web sites to see that there was other people problem identical to my problem but there was none. One suggestion about Realtek Ethernet card. I moved it but it did not help. It only changed the last number of IP address from 100 to 141. Apprently any shared folder I created after the networking installed, will not be access by workstation. The error message " you do no have rights to the data path" Further detail " \\server name\folder name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission" Administrator was never set up when windows XP pro was installed. Again, I still can ping each computer to its IP address or the other computer IP address with reply. I can click on Shared Docs icons on my network place and access them from either computer. I did not do any registry patching yet, such as suggested by DragonWiz in another Thread.
    Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice