Trouble reinstalling Drivers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The_Xenocide

I recently decided to switch back to Vista after using the Win7 RC version for several weeks, due to problems with my USB devices that I couldn't figure out how to resolve.

So I ended up having to reformat my laptop, which I wasn't happy with at all.

So I go about reinstalling Vista, get everything set up, and I'm instantly confronted with several problems. One, my resolution is stuck at 1024x786, instead of the 1366x678 I previously had, with no option to change it. Two, I have no internet and the diagnostics tells me that my hardware isn't even properly installed.

I go to device manager and there are several things flagged with an exclamation point, which leads me to assume that I'm missing some drivers. I go to the resource and utilities CD, but I really have no idea what to download and what not to. I also can't seem to find my adapter driver anywhere on the CD.

I just want my laptop back to the way it was before I was dumb enough to not put Win7 on a separate partition.

Help, anyone?

What make and model?
It sounds like a Dell. The resource CD will identify the installed hardware and provides instructions for reinstalling the drivers.
I don't have one handy, but look at the tabs across the top for something like "Drivers" and switch to it. You can't do any harm as it won't install a wrong driver.

The_Xenocide

It's a Dell Inspiron 1525.

I've already tried that and I can't get the network adapter driver. Heck, I dunno what it's supposed to be called.

The_Xenocide

I'm having to download the drivers off of another computer, but here's my problem. The whole reason that I reformatted my drive was because all of my USB devices stopped working. Apparently, Windows 7 was having issues with them.

I'm discovering that the problem still exists. If I plug in a new USB device, I get blue screened. I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do.

I know there have been problems with Vista and USB, but you've got to start by getting all your drivers installed.
Put the CD in, if it doesn't auto run, just rt-click it to install.
That will put it on your program menu and install the drivers in C:/Dell/Drivers/Driver Numbers
You can then auto install each driver from the menu.
If you have a recovery partition, you can also go that route.
Take your time-it's not all that hard.

The_Xenocide

Update time.

So, I seem to have finally got my drivers in order. My remaining problem is the reason why I reformatted in the first place: my USB ports.

Everytime I plug in my external HD or my flash drive in any port, I get a BUGCODE_USB_DEVICE blue screen of death. However, my mouse is a USB device and it seems to be working just fine. I'm at a loss as to what this problem could be and how to fix it. Ideas?

Is this 64 bit Vista?
Have you got all the Windows updates installed?

The_Xenocide

No, I have the 32-bit version.

And yes, all of my windows updates have been downloaded and installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts