1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Reinstalling XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Djg4Lyfe, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Djg4Lyfe

Djg4Lyfe Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I'm having quite the problem reinstalling XP on my brothers computer. He has a Dell XPS 400 that I whiped the hard drive on because he was getting tons of memory errors. I'm trying to reinstall XP right now with an OEM Home edition I have, but I'm running into multiple errors. First off, it doesn't want to see the hard drive, it's SATA so I am assuming since it's XP it doesn't have the drivers for it. But thats when I run into another problem. His computer didn't come with a 3.5 floppy that I could try to install the drivers through.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has even ran into this problem. Where you need to get new drivers onto a blank machine, without a 3.5. Is it possible to boot from USB? I don't know, just looking for some new ideas and help. Thanks in advance!

Dave

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Most Dell BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP

You can request a replacement install cd from Dell here

You can find the drivers for the Dell here

3. Djg4Lyfe

Djg4Lyfe Thread Starter

Tried that, now it is not even seeing the CD-ROM. In the bios the only thing that it is seeing is the HD. Short of going out and purchasing a 3.5 for it, I'm out of ideas.

4. Djg4Lyfe

Djg4Lyfe Thread Starter

OK, I've finally got it reading from an old CD ROM I had, and now it's coming up with a SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED. Guess what I can gather that is means its something up with the CD ROM =x....Man, so annoying

5. Djg4Lyfe

Djg4Lyfe Thread Starter

Here's another question. Do you think I could slave the old hard drive with my laptop using an IDE to USB cable that I have right now, and install windows that way? Than once it's up and going, get the drivers installed and everything else. Thanks in advance.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Nope . . that will not work. CAn you get a new CD drive for the pc?

7. nessyguin

nessyguin

8. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

It certainly sounds like a motheboard or ram problem with all the errors.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice