1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Restoring (XP) Registry with ERDNT

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Writenow, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Yesterday, before installing a new application, I ran ERUNT. Later, I uninstalled the program with Revo Uninstaller and removed all the registry entries it listed. When I tried to use ERDNT.EXE to restore the registry to what it was earlier that day, I got this warning for each of the following files:

Unable to create a backup of the current registry file

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY!

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software!
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system!
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default!
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM!
    C:\DOCUMEN --1\Owner\NTUSER.DAT !
    C:\DOCUMEN --1\Owner\LOCALS--1\MICROS-\Windows\UsrClass.dat!

Continue restoration of this file?

I've never seen this before. Not knowing what it means, I chose No each time. I went back to an earlier Erunt backup and tried to restore that one, but the same thing happened.

Can anybody explain? Does it mean the Erunt backup failed for some reason? Does Erdnt usually make another backup before performing a restore? Scratching my head, and a little worried.

Thanks for any help.

XP SP3, Longtime user of ERUNT

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As you know Erunt will make a back up copy of the Xp registry files.
    Installing an application [program] and then uninstalling it, with or without using Revo, would not affect the saved registry files contained within Erunt.
    The two may seem connected but they are not.
    An unistall of Erunt and then a re-install should solve the problem.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/faq.htm
    An alternative to Erunt should you need it.
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If you tried to restore it from within Windows, those messages are correct.
    You need a DOS style prompt with the same disk lettering as was active when you dumped it. (or edit the drive letters in the control file)

ERUNT tries to copy the files you are replacing before overwriting them.

4. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Thank you for responding to my post. And many thanks for the link. I tried to open larshederer yesterday, but couldn't get it to load.

I understand that the saved registry files would not be affected by an application install. I only mentioned Revo because it gives the opportunity to delete registry files after it has uninstalled a program, and I allowed Revo to delete them. The problem is that when I run ERDNT.EXE to restore the registry to what it was before the program was installed, I get the messages that I listed above. I was wondering why the restore process would give me a warning about being unable to create a backup. And I wondered if it would be safe to "Continue restoration" in spite of the message.

5. DaveBurnett

I told you why!
    It is up to you to decide whether to proceed given the information I supplied ;)

6. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Thank you for answering.

I didn't know ERUNT would try to copy the files I'm trying to replace when it already has a copy of them.

I only wish I knew what you were saying when you said: You need a DOS style prompt with the same disk lettering as was active when you dumped it. (or edit the drive letters in the control file) :D Uh, well I know what a DOS style prompt is — though my Erunt comes w/a GUI of sorts — but I don't know what you mean about the disk lettering. C:WINDOWS yaddah, yaddah, as stated above.

I run ERUNT before installing any new application. If I don't like the app and uninstall it, I always run ERDNT after the uninstall. I've never before encountered a message other than something that tells me the files have been replaced.

Maybe if I reinstall Erunt/Erdnt I can get my registry back.

Thanks again.

7. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Thinking, thinking, thinking.

Maybe I'll try that! :D

8. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Well, I reinstalled ERUNT, but still can't restore. So I guess I'm just out of luck.

Thanks.

9. DaveBurnett

It doesn't know that! It assumes that they will have changed in the meantime (which they probably will even if it is only minutes later)

By DOS prompt I mean COMMAND LINE ONLY. That means no Windows running in the background. You cannot use it properly from under Windows since Windows has exclusive access to the files.

My comment about drive letters mean that if you ran it from other than the C: drive (usb for example) you must have the same physical drives plugged into the same slots when you do a restore.

10. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

So this a.m. I ran Erunt which I recently reinstalled. This evening I tried to run ERDNT.EXE to restore the registry. It fails with a new message. This one says:

Error restoring
    C:\Erunt RegistryBackups\1-22-2015\SECURITY
    to
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY !

Continue with the next file?
    [RegReplaceKey: 5 - Access is denied]

It is the same for the other hives.

Why am I getting Access denied messages?

11. DaveBurnett

Are you restoring it from a command prompt that is NOT a Windows one. You cannot restore files that are in use.

You need to boot to a command prompt from a CD, USB, or another disk (unless you have dual/multi boot) In which case it is likely that you will need to edit the drive letters in the ERUNT inf file.

12. blues_harp28

When I have had to use Erunt, I usually boot to safe mode and then run the Erunt back up.
    However, you then have to reboot the pc for the registry to be returned to the date of your choice.

Also I save the Erunt registry back up to a separate folder on the desktop and when you click on that folder you will see all the save files, along with their dates.
    When you click on a date - you then click on ERD NT.
    Hope that hasn't added to any confusion here.

Try the following.
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

13. DaveBurnett

The question was about Restoring. You should not, restore from safe mode, in fact I doubt it would work properly.

14. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Thank you for the information and thank you for the link.

Yes, I do the same. All my backups are in a folder and when I want to restore a backup I click on ERDNT.EXE from within the folder of the date I want to restore. I haven't, though, ever run ERUNT from safe mode . . . and in all these years, I've never gotten errors when doing a restore.This is very, very odd behavior.

15. blues_harp28

My system froze a few days ago after a download of a program and as always Erunt run in safe mode, saved the day.
    Although in safe mode less drivers and applications are running the saved registry files from Erunt, are still intact.
    But if I was having the problem you are having, I'd switch to tweaking registry back up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice