1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble sending e-mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Dr. K, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dr. K

Dr. K Thread Starter

Hello, you all come highly recommended. I hope you can help.
    Just recently I am unable to send out e-mails. I have two different e-mail accounts, Yahoo and Hotmail. When I try to reply or compose anything, after I press send and the hour glass comes up but nothing is done. The hourglass just keeps going and going and nothing is sent. Any suggestions........please

Thanks

Dr. K

2. xXTiKiXx

xXTiKiXx

Umm, well does this happen ONLY when you send emails, or does it happen in other things also?

I reccomend doing a SpyWare scan especially if you have Morpheus or KaZaA. Try downloading Ad-Aware from lavasoft <a href="http://www.download.com">Here</a>.

3. Dr. K

Dr. K Thread Starter

Thanks....but tried, it but no luck......

4. Del

Del

If you're trying to send emails from say hotmail account and you're on a certain isp, you have to use their outgoing mail server. Otherwise, you would be relaying mail which is normally blocked.

5. Dr. K

Dr. K Thread Starter

Thanks Del, but I have been using Compuserve for a few years now and this problem just recently developed. I just wrote to Compuserve with the same problem, asking if they have recently released any new software that could cause such a problem. Now I am waiting for a response, which could take days. Do you have any other suggestions? I am using Window XP on an Emachine Monster 1000b.
    Please, I will try anything.

Thanks

6. Dr. K

Dr. K Thread Starter

I almost forgot one bit of information. After the e-mail has been trying to be sent out, I get a 504 gateway timeout error. If this info helps at all, I hope so.....

7. HomeChicken1

HomeChicken1

Check your SMTP server settings. And if you have yahoo mail like my SBC account has merged with ...they need you to check the box in your mail client under the servers tab (pop/smtp)that says "outgoing mail/my server requires authenication"
    try that. this problem will let you get mail but not able to send it

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Yahoo has stopped providing free POP3 support since long back. Its now a paid premium service from their stable.

As regards hotmail, it is not and has never been a POP3 based mail provider. It is just an additional facility in Outlook/Outlook Express that you can have a copy of the folders on their servers in your PC. That is why they call it SYNCHRONISATION.

If you are using your ISPs SMTP servers to send mails with your yahoo or hotmail address in the from field, it is very likely that they are stopping it. ISPs do that to avoid spam from their servers.

However, it will be easier if you post some screen shots of errors that you get. To get a screen shot, press Print Screen when the error is on the screen, go to Paint and do a paste. Then save it as .jpg and attach it to a post here.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice