1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Setting up Personal Cloud Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AndroidMIDs, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndroidMIDs

AndroidMIDs Thread Starter

Hi:

I am running a zyxel nsa-325 series Network Storage device with 6 TBs of HD space. This NAS has a Linux kernel and 512mg of DDRIII ram. It is also running a Polkast personal cloud application that enables access to all the files through a simple UI rather than having to use FTP server login credentials (which I have also set-up).

My home office is set up with Frontier as the ISP and they provide a locked down router/modem that you are not "supposed" to replace. It is made by speedstream and does not allow editing of the dns server or anything else that would be considered needed.

I have set it up as the primary router with an ip range of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 250.250.250.0
    I have several devices (printers, PC's etc plugged into this device via lan.
    Wireless broadcast and access is disabled...

My primary router is a Sapido 5000 series Gigabit router.
    I have this router broadcasting a wirelessB/G/N siganl for mobile devices to connect to.
    The NAS that I opened the thread with is plugged into this router via lan (Cat7).
    The Ip range of this router is set at 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 250.250.250.0

All devices on the sapido router have access to the internet, as well as the services of the first router (networked printers, and speedstream router login for admin if needed).

I can access the Zyxel NAS (192.168.1.104) from the PCs (192.168.0.2) connected to the speedstream, as well as the mobile devices and laptops (192.168.1.110-150) connected to the sapido.

Here is my problem...
    I have installed polkast which is an application that runs in the background on the NAS. It allows web access to all of the files (work docs, multi-media, ebooks, iso files, batch files for utilities etc. from a cell phone, tablet, pc, laptop, any device I want. I should be able to access the files from the web and also on the local WLAN to allow file transfers from the NAS to the device in seconds...

When I am on the WLAN I can copy/stream a video file that is approximately 1GB in seconds. However, When I am on 3g 4g or at another location I do not have access. Polkast has simply said that I have an incorrect network configuration. I have confirmed that allk the Polkast side settings are fine and their user support has also confirmed that everything is as it should be. So they insist that the problem lies with my 2 routers. Their suggestion was to go back to using 1 router (HeeHee).

I can RDP into any computer on my network from anywhere in the world. So the configurations seem fine. I also have FTP access to the NAS so I believe the ports are all forwarded correctly.

I would appreciate any assistance and support suggestions that are offered.

I apologize for the length of this post.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    I hope you mean 255.255.255.0... 250 is not a valid octet.

Just to confirm can you access it from any other computer outside of your network?

3. AndroidMIDs

Thanks for responding.

Yes the subnet is 255... the 250 was a cold induced brain freeze.

I can RDP into the PC's on the network locally and remotely. I have LOCAL ftp access to the nas, but no, I do not have access to the nas from outside the Lan, unless I use a direct IP to http access which works but as I do not have a static IP fro, the ISP I have not reconfigured for that setup. Hence the "supposed ease of Polkast.

4. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Sounds like a port or routing issue then if you cannot access outside of your LAN. (Just to confirm, that includes celluar connections)

So to confirm you have a Cable Modem/Router combination (Model number?) and Sapido 5000 series Gigabit router?

5. AndroidMIDs

Router #1 directly connected to isp (built in modem)
    SpeedStream 6520 Series
    Router #2 connected to the speedstream lan-wan
    Sapido N 5000 Wifi King, 1732 series

I can connect to the speedstream from the internet (cellphone running android 4, Att&t 3g or 4g) using the no-ip dns hostname but not the sapido and there fore not the NAS. (tried setting it up for the sapido and kept getting a "bad gateway" message from the web page on chrome and for the nas). So no access to anything beyond the speedstream router.

From the speedstream, there should be a way to continue to access all the other devices regardless of subnet if I know the ip addresses. But that is currently beyond my knowledge/skill set as I do not know how to configure that.

I have ports 80, 21, and 22 forwarded on the sapido as well as the speedstream with 2 way connections allowed and the NAS ip (192.168.1.104) set up with unrestricted access as an exception to firewall rules.

The speedstream doesn't use traditional names for things so it was confusing. The sapido is very straightforward.

The no-ip can you see me utility was not able to see ANY ports when tested from the main PC I am using right now. This PC is connected to the Sapido and has full network access. I can RDP into this PC from a 4g connection. Corrected now, canuseeme can see port 21... I change a few settings and got the port 21 to be seen. but everything else is as before. No web access.

Whenever I use the no-ip hostname to try to access (even after removing the info from the routers and disabling the feature) it takes me to the speedstream when tested on the lan. When testing from another location, it gives me the bad gateway message.

6. AndroidMIDs

I have checked the ports and everything shows as forwarded. I have also been able to log into polkast from the zyxel itself. However, accessing it seems to be impossible from a different lan or from a 3g/4g connection.

Additionally, I set up my domain using no-ip and cannot acces either router, or the nas using it. I keep getting a "bad gateway" message.

Do you have any suggestions?

7. dannyn

dannyn

Correct me if I am wrong here, the thread isn't very concise and I am having a hard time following it. Maybe if you could round up the information into a more concise post I would be able to help more. One thing I see you say is when you are RDPed into the box you cannot go on the web. Right above you say that you have port 80 forwarded. I cannot tell, but if you have port 80 forwarded to a different box on the same LAN, the RDP box will not be able to access the web.

8. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    So help me out with the network layout - IP wise.

Modem/router combination:
    WAN: <public IP address>
    LAN is on 192.168.0.0 subnet; gateway is on 192.168.0.1

Router is connected to LAN port on Modem
    WAN: 192.168.0.?
    LAN: 192.168.1.?

CPE in question is at 192.168.1.?

What program on your phone are you using and what settings are you using for the RDP?

9. AndroidMIDs

Public IP is 74somthing connected to speed stream router with an IP range of 192.168.0.10-50 gateway s set to 0.1 with DHCP turned on and a networked printer, 2 PCs and the second router connected to the plan ports. The speed stream router has an Integrated modem that connects to the frontier ISP through the standard phone jack.

Router number 2 is connected to the speed stream plan to wan, and has an IP range of 192.168.1.100-200 with gateway being 1.1... DHCP is also turned on as ever time I try turning DHCP off on either of the routers everything stops working.

The nas is connected to This router with a static IP of 192.168.1.104... several other computers are connected to this router as well through wireless, and were connections. I also have a third router that is connected to this router through a power line access Although it is in ap mode and has DHCP turned off.

From any of the routers I have access to the internet...
    From any of the routers I have access to the nas...
    From any of the routers I have access to the printer...
    From the outside world, I have RDP access to any of the PCs on the network, connected to any of the routers. Ports 80, 21. 22 are open.
    However,

The nas will not communicate to the outside world to accept a no.IP.org hostname.
    The nas will allow Polkast to accept log in credentials but will not allow other devices to find it from outside the lan(s). Not even a hosted connection appears. Polkast support says it is do to a double nat.
    The nas also does not communicate to zyxel anymore for updates. However, it will download files, packages for local install, upload files etc.
    I either need to fix the network so as to allow Polkast to function... or to set up ftp access from outside the network. Basically, if I can access the has from another plan I will be happy..

My apologies for the long lost.

10. Couriant

First Name:
    James
  11. AndroidMIDs

That is distinctly possible. According to Polkast, there shouldn't be any ports needed, as Polkast s supposed to be a hosted solutions. I do know if I install Polkast on my pc, I can access the files on my pc from anther lan. But not on the nas running Polkast.

If you have an suggestions please feel free to play devils advocate. So far I have tried everything within my range of experience and have hit a brick wall. It is probably something tiny like a missed port as you mentioned in the previous post, or a way the nas is configured. I truly appreciate any assistance you can offer.

12. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Try forwarding the ports that you are missing, looks like the 40000 to 50000

13. AndroidMIDs

OK: I have forwarded 40000 - 50000 with no change. However, I can only forward those ports on the sapido (router #2) as the speed stream (router #1 + modem from isp) does not allow ports to be forwarded at all. I tested the NAS on the speedstream and still did not have access (so I am assuming the speedstream is the cause of the issue).

I can create a workaround by disabling all the features on the speed stream and trying to run everything on the sapido, but I have been getting ip conflicts.

So to summarize...

I have checked all the ports... Every port that could be open, is open on the sapido which runs the office network. I even tested it by disabling nat and firewall and creating a blanket port open protocol with no success. We have access to the NAS from anywhere on that lan. However, these ports will NOT forward to the internet as the isp router/modem does not allow port forwarding. If I put the NAS on the isp router, we lose access to it from the lan, and we still have no access to it from the internet.

I am at a loss. This is what I need and am having trouble with...
    A) - Access to the NAS from the LAN/WLAN from router 1, 2, and 3...
    B) - Access to the NAS as a private cloud from a 3g or 4g connection (FTP direct ip access)
    C) - Access to the NAS through the Polkast hosted solution from the lan, 3g, 4g, etc.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice