1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble setting up pop3 mail and gmail on windows 10 tablet

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by g30rgia, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g30rgia

g30rgia Thread Starter

I'm setting up a new windows 10 tablet for my parents for them to hopefully be able to complete some work on. Email is really important for them and they have an xtra email (pop3) which has been used on their desktop for years. I tried setting it up on the mail app already loaded on the tablet and followed instructions on their help site, doing an advanced set up and I can only read new emails as they come in that haven't been read by the desktop computer.

I also tried linking a gmail account to the app to see if this had the same problem and it did, only emails that were unread by the desktop computer could be read on the app.

Is there any way to fix this? I have played around with the sync settings on both accounts and it hasn't made a difference. I am thinking of using online Gmail if this can't be helped and forwarding emails from the desktop to the tablet. Help appreciated thanks.

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

A POP email account means the emails have to be downloaded somewhere and removed from the server.

Going through Gmail gives you an option to store them on Gmail's servers.

Where do you want them stored?

An IMAP email account would be better since then the emails would be stored on a central server accessible by any computer or device.

JohnBrook likes this.
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes, if not always, the email client or the POP3 mail service has options for deleting the message from the server upon download, or when deleted from the email client, or after a set time. If there are options for the xtra account you do not want the first one I listed. Your parents probably want to use IMAP with gmail (and any other service for which it is available).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice