1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble setting up ZyXEL P-330W

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ichthus05, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ichthus05

ichthus05 Thread Starter

Got the ZyXEL router basically free with my new HP computer. Running XP. No previous experience with routers or home networks. Had cable modem connected (first time since abandoning dial-up), service through Earthlink. Internet works fine when fed from modem directly to PC. Followed ZyXEL setup instructions with a wired connection to the PC, but cannot get an Internet connection. Settings for TCP/IP are as directed in the Quick Start Guide: Obtain IP address automatically, Obtain DNS server address automatically. IPCONFIG identifies IP address 192.168.1.33. Pinged 192.168.1.1 successfully just as directed, but still left without Internet access. The next step in the instructions for configuring the P-330W begins with opening the web browser and going to http://192.168.1.1 but obviously I can't get there while hooked to the router. Any help for this router newbee would be most appreciated.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If you can ping 192.168.1.1 but you can't use http://192.168.1.1 then this is where I would start. You should be able to access this internally even if the Internet portion is not working so this narrows do the problem to the PC cable or router.

You mention your IP is 192.168.1.33 did you ensure your Default gateway is 192.168.1.1? Also are you running firewalls if so turn them off for setting up the internet then you can renabled them one at a time when you have the internet up and running.

3. ichthus05

ichthus05 Thread Starter

So you're saying that I don't need an internet connection to take that next step? Maybe that's where my trouble began...I assumed that nothing would happen if I entered that URL into the dead IE browser. Since I'm now at the office, a test will have to wait until tonight.

As for firewalls, I'm pretty sure I had it all turned off at the time, but again I'll check that tonight when I return to the project.

How do I check that the Default gateway is 192.168.1.1? (Sorry if that's a dumb question...I'm pretty clueless on this at the moment. But I fully expect it to be a steep learning curve!)

Thanks.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

nope as long as your PC and your router both have an 192.168.1.X IP then you should be able to access it even if you don't have a "true" internet connection.

It can be your router is giving your PC and IP but your router was not given the IP from your modem. In this case shut everything off modem/router/PC. Turn on the modem wait 2 minutes. Turn on the router wait another 2 minutes then turn on the PC. And try again.

5. ichthus05

ichthus05 Thread Starter

Thanks much, will do! I'll give it a shot later tonight.

So much to learn, so little time...

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "How do I check that the Default gateway is 192.168.1.1?"

ipconfig /all

7. ichthus05

ichthus05 Thread Starter

Thanks!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/449803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice