1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble sharing "Documents" folder to XP Home from Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tommyudo, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyudo

Tommyudo Thread Starter

Hello All,

I have several PCs at home, one with Vista Ultimate (mine) and one with XP Home SP2 (my wife's). Both PCs have personal accounts with passwords. On the Vista PC, I am able to share a folder on my "D:" data drive with no difficulty using the right click Share... menu item from Windows Explorer. I can see and contribute to this folder from the XP PC just fine. What I am not able to do is share the "Documents" folder and its contents from Vista. When I share this folder by the same method, all I see on the XP PC is a "Users" folder and "Default User" within that. I'm guessing that this folder might have special properties that are different than the Vanilla "D:" folder. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Yup. Remember back when you put a password on the Vista machine. It asked you if you wanted to make your files private. You said "yes," making all files in your profile inaccessible to everyone but you.

Easy fix. Create a new account on your computer using your wife's username and password. When you share the folder now (and you will have to reshare), she should be able to access them from her computer.

Courtney

3. Tommyudo

Tommyudo Thread Starter

OK, its very possible I did do that. But, I'd like to undo it if possible. The goal is to give my wife access to everything in my "Documents" folder. I already created an account on the Vista (my) PC matching my wife's credentials but that (obviously) didn't make my files any less private. Is it simply a matter of going into the Security tab and opening up the access that way?

Thanks,

Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice