1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble shooting on board video.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigTex, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

How do you trouble shoot an on board video card? It's an HP 7840. One thing that I notice is that the computer (a friends by the way) has only one fan (front side).

He said he's had it just a little over a year, he said that it was freezing up at times so he went and so he bought more memory (it only had 64 to begin with), but when he turned it off and added the memory it wouldn't come on, it's just a blank screen. I'm thinking that the MOBO is fried!

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

2. NitroNic

NitroNic

What happens if you take that added memory back out and try to turn it on?

3. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

It does the same thing.

4. NitroNic

NitroNic

So it worked, or would at least turn on.

You added memory, wouldn't turn on.

You subracted the added memory, still wouldn't turn on.

Correct?

Are there any beep codes?

5. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Yes, that's correct, no beep codes at all and the power supply is just fine.

6. NitroNic

NitroNic

I didn't look up to see that particular type of computer, but I"m assuming (yeah, I know what happens when we assume.....) that it's an ATX. Did you unplug it before putting the memory in? Also make sure you didn't knock anything else loose.

7. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Yes I unplugged it and doubled checked all the cables and everything seems to be fine.

8. NitroNic

NitroNic

Well, I suppose it's possible that that RAM is bad, and could have dammaged your mobo... Is the power switch working?

If you have other processors that work with that board, you could start switching componets out untill something works (if it does). LIke try that memory and processor in another MOBO if you have the right type.

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO HELP ME HERE?:)

Nic

9. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

The front side power switch does nothing and the monitor doesn't recognize the MOBO, the lights on the MOBO stays organe and it keeps blinking as if it's not connected to the MOBO.

10. NitroNic

NitroNic

Are there any lights on the motherboard it's self that are lighted?

And if the switch is bad, try shorting with a paperclip or something the pins that it is supposed to short. OR check the continuity of the switch with a volt meter.

11. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hey NitroNic, no I didn't see any lights on what so ever.

12. NitroNic

NitroNic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ATX boards have a light in them, indicating that they are powered (some have a light in them to indicate that they're in standby mode and such). If the power cable is connected, and the power supply is powered (please tell me it's plugged in....lol), then that light inside should be on.

Just to be safe, you might try another power supply too. Or, if you're not afraid to open it up, check to see if a fuse is blown in it.
    Also make sure the switch on the back of the power supply is on ( the "I" mark, not the "O").

If everything there looks okay, and the light is still not on, then the poor thing might be toast.

one more thing to check:

If you have a map of the motherboard, or if you see any place on it marked "Power LED" or anything like that, that LOOKS like an LED is there..... make sure there is an LED that would be lighted when the mobo is powered.

Nic

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/190699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice