1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble starting up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Contre, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Contre

Contre Thread Starter

This is a problem with another computer, not this one.

Problem: Windows starts up normally. Untill the desktop picture is shown... although it is shown, there is nothing else there. No start menu bar or icons. ctrl-alt-delete does nothing. You can right click and it gives you the little menu, but if you try to click on something nothing happens.

Background: To get a file from an old computer, I brought out that computer (a very old emachines). I unhooked the keyboard from the newer computer (old comp didnt have its own keyboard), and unhooked the monitor(used new monitor for old comp). I hooked both of these to the older computer. When I turned it on, it made a bunch of beep noises and some other wierd mechanical noises... And no information was fed to the monitor. So I unhooked the monitor and put it back to the new computer. I got out the old monitor, hooked that to the old computer, and the same thing happened. So i put the keyboard back to the new computer also and put away the old computer. (the power cords and mouse were all from the old computer, not shared from the new computer.) And then when I tried to start the comp, it did as i said above.

This should not have done anything to the new computer, but apparently it did. Maybe the old hardware was corrupt/broken and affected hte new one. The computer case was not hot, so I wouldn't think it overheated.

Almost makes me wish they were imacs.. almost..

A speedy response would be great as these are my friend's computers and his parents do not like liberal kids messing around with their computer and breaking it..

2. EZ91765

EZ91765

which operating system are you running on the new computer?
    can you go into the Safe Mode?

If you can go into the Safe Mode, for ME and XP, you can try System Restore under Start/Accessories/System Tools.

For 98, you can try to restart the computer in MD-DOS mode and type scanreg /restor and select a earlier date.

For 2000, you can press F8 during boot up and start from last known good configuration.

3. mobo

mobo

I'll assume your using xp so when the desktop pic appears hit ctrl, alt ,delete and bring up task manager. Select processes and verify that explorer.exe is running.

4. Contre

Contre Thread Starter

motherboard: i said "ctrl-alt-delete does nothing"

I found the problem.. or rather he did
    I plugged the monitor into the main monitor plug, which connected it to the video card they got when they bought comp. But theres another monitor plug, which goes to a newer video card which is set to be primary

thanks though

5. mobo

mobo

Anytime

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/153400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice