1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble starting up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gerbenicus, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gerbenicus

gerbenicus Thread Starter

Win 2K Also just had some problems with viruses, smitfraud, but should be clean now thanks to your site.
    But still had boot up problems, couldn't even get to black screen showing boot up but just showed blue screen. Turn off, turn on usually would boot up. Today it took about 5 turn offs, turn ons! Also would beep several times 7 to 8 beeps. this would keep going if I didn't turn it off. Finall y got Win 2K soft cd in drive but still wouldn't boot.

Help!

2. norton850

norton850

In the process of fixing things did you work inside the case at all? Do you get anything at all up on the screen or is it OK until you should be booting Windows?

3. gerbenicus

gerbenicus Thread Starter

I forgot to mention I restored a ghost image of my c: using Nortons yesterday, BUT I was having problems before, several days in a row it would take one restart. Did not go inside the case, no new hardware.

When it doesn't want to boot up nothing gets on the screen at all. Today was the first time it hung up and sounded off all the beeps.

4. norton850

norton850

If you know your BIOS manufacturer you can look up the beep codes.

5. dobbelina

dobbelina

Maybe your ram is glitching ?
    Open the cover and try reseating it.
    Could also be a good idea to run Memtest
    Boot it from either floppy or CD and let it run at least "one round".
    If there are any errors showing up, you might need new ram.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/409968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice