trouble starting up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lunatic212

A couple weeks ago my computer started taking really long before it would even begin to start up. I had to wait about a minute usually before there was even a system beep or anything at all appeared on the monitor. Sometimes it wouldn't start up at all and I'd have to turn it off and try again, and now it's starting to take longer and longer for it to start up. Before, it would always start up after the second try at most, but this week I hadn't been able to turn it on for three days, until the day before yesterday I pushed the power button, waited 5 minutes, and then forgot about, came back about two hours later and it was on. I haven't turned it off since then for fear I won't be able to get it started up again.

A few other things to mention: Restarting works fine; there's only a problem when trying to start up from a completely powered-down state. When I press the power button, all my fans start running and the LED on the motherboard lights up--there's just no system beep and nothing appears on the monitor for a while or at all(although I'm positive it's not a problem with the monitor; there's just nothing for it to display).

If it helps, I'm using a 950mhz Athlon and a 10gb Maxtor harddrive. I don't recall what kind of motherboard I have, but I can find out if necessary.

You could have bad ram, or the slots for the ram are bad. Mine did that before also, I got the ram tested and it was fine so it was the ram slot, Right now im using different kinda ram and differnt slots, mine can use both sdram and ddr. So i hope this helps, hope you can find out whats wrong with it. Good luck

Lunatic212

I've been using the same ram since last January without any problems. In fact, I've been using all the same hardware since January. I can't think of a single change that I made to my system around the time it started giving me problems. :(

have you made any hardware changes?
check all your cables and cards and make sure they are secure
.. try restarting and enter the bios.. load setup defaults and try that... i once had a bad videocard that slowed my boot up.... but not for like 5 mins...

hope that helps a little...

Lunatic212

Yeah I already checked to see if everything was secure. My cpu fan was a little loose. It wasn't causing any extra vibration or anything, but I fixed it anyway... didn't help.

How do I flash the bios? Oh and btw, I had to turn my computer off and I haven't been able to get it back on yet, so I don't know if I'll be able to get into the bios anyway.

:D It could be that your power supply is breaking down. This would explain why you have fewer problems when you reboot because the load factor is substancially less during a reboot versus a cold boot. I would try replacing the power supply. Good lcuk. KW1

you can access the bios if you can reboot....... is it a factory job?(ie HP.. compaq..etc) if it is not.. press del button on memory test this will gain you access to the bios.... you could try restoring defaults on the motherboard from here... if that doesn't work you will need your board name and make to find the correct bios.. goto your boards website... (ie www.asus.com..www.epox.com) and they will have a detailed explaination for flashing the bios

As for the power supply as mentioned in the above post it is a very valid point and worth a good hard look ... try getting a new P/S and installing that first before anything else they are cheap and easy to change out

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online