Trouble starting win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bmlanders

When trying to start windows, I get the following message:

"The following file is missing or corrupted: c:/windows/system/cpqidecd.sys
There is an error in your config.sys file on Line 4

Bad command or file name vmm32.vxd. It is required to run windows

If this file is not in your path, you may need to reinstall windows"

I am running windows 98 on a Compaq notebook (1920)

Any ideas?

Grateful in advance.

Brendan

This may require a reinstall of Windows to resolve, if the vmm32.vxd file is truly missing or damaged. But some errors like this can result from corrupt path statements or problem with autoexec.bat or config.sys. We can test this by trying to start in safe mode.

To attempt a safe mode start, press and hold the control key as soon as the computer starts to boot.

You should see a numbered Boot Menu. Select the safe mode option.

See this link for other info about vmm32.vxd and the Path statement in Autoexec.bat

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q194/6/79.asp

bmlanders

Wow, Rollin'...thanks for the quick reply.

So...I am screwed if I cannot start in safe mode (screwed meaning I need to reinstall windows).

Thanks for your help.

Quite likely, but try following the instructions in "Method 1" of the link I posted above. If the system folder is renamed (never really seen it happen), then the resolution there should fix it.

To follow their instructions, select the command prompt option from the boot menu.

I'm hoping the problem is in autoexec.bat and config.sys which windows does not load in safe mode and does not really need. If so, you can edit or bypass these files by running msconfig

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q188/8/67.asp

bmlanders

So, I followed Method 1 in the above link and the first suggestion found the file!!! BUT... once it was located, I followed step two and rebooted like I was instructed. Now I have the same error, so I went back to do it again, and it can't find it anymore???

Make any sense?

When you do a search for it from DOS, the command must be:

dir vmm32.vxd /s

If you forgot the /s then it won't search the sub directories. But if you did and it is truly missing, then it's definitely reinstall Windows time. The file cannot be independently extracted or replaced because it contains unique information that is created during setup for your particular configuration.

Also if you are going to reinstall Windows, I would recommend you rename autoexec.bat and config.sys so that any corruption in those files doesn't get in the way. From a DOS prompt, to rename them, enter:

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.xxx
ren config.sys config.xxx

bmlanders

Thank you very much for your help, I think it is going to be a reinstall. I appreciate your expertise.

Thanks again.

Brendan

bmlanders

before i reinstall, when i search for the file, it reads the following

Volume in drive C has no label
Volume Serial Number is 36BE-B1A5

Directory of C:\DIR00001

VMM32 <DIR> 12-04-98 10:34a
0 file(s) 0 bytes

Total files listed:
0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 1,963.41 MB free

Does this mean the file is empty? Sorry for my ignorance

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I don't see Rog yet this a.m., so I'll throw my 2 cents in ;)

The file should be over 928,000 bytes....I'm wondering when you found it the first time, did it show as 0 bytes before as well?

In any event, you are going to need to re-install windows.

Also, make sure you follow Rog's suggestion to rename autoexec.bat and config.sys first.

Just a further note, the dir00001 directory is something created by scandisk when it finds "cross-linked" files. So this is an indication that you have had some drive problems.

It's sometimes a gamble to run a thorough scandisk and have it automatically fix things, but it might be advisable to do so, only have it prompt before fixing, so you can see what it is doing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online