1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble starting Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CGI, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CGI

CGI Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I apologise if this has been covered before but i've spent hours trawling around google and not really got the answer I need / works.

I've been having some problem with my computer lately resulting in atapi.sys being at fault. I googled alot and few places came up with different things, best advice I got was delete atapi.sys then install SP2. Now seeing as I had a SP2 disc I figured that would be the best bet. I deleted it then the PC crashed, and won't start up again just says it could.t start up successfully due to recent hardware / software changes - Atapi.sys I assume. Now I have the usual choices of how to boot up - Safe Mode, Safe mode + networking, Safe mode + command prompt , last goodknown config and Normally. None of these work.
    If I start windows normally it gets furthest but then I get a blue screen flick on and off and it reboots and goes back to asking me to chosehow to boot up.

Thought "ok, just put recovery disc in and replace the file" How wrong was I, put the recovery CD in and there's missing files so i can't actually use it anyway!

I'm using XP Home edition, I haven't changed any hardware at all and stupid me had to delete Atapi.sys.

Is there anyway of getting it back? XP SP2 disc I have doesn't boot up from the disc so to install that I need to get into my computer / CMD so i'm kinda stuck and confused lol

Any help would be appreciated.

2. CGI

CGI Thread Starter

Nobody got any idea? lol

3. rka0

rka0 Banned

4. CGI

CGI Thread Starter

Thanks but still no joy. Getting no further either, just really don't know how to get atapi.sys back onto the HD because it won't start up nor will recovery CD work.

Anyone got any ideas? :(

5. zenato

zenato

6. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Do you have a virtual drive? Such as Daemon tools or Alchohol 120% or Pinnacle systems Vobid?
    Often these cause problems with drive recognition and driver loading causing windows to lockup during boot and causing major problems with repair installs and upgrades (sp2).

If you do , see if you can boot to safe mode and remove them.

The above can result in the files missing error during a repair install; but more commonly this is caused by either a bad IDE cable (replace suspect cables with new 80wire 40 pin IDE cables) , bad hard drive (use chkdsk or the manufacturers drive utility to test drive and mark bad spots) , dirty laser lens on the cdrom (use laser lens cleaning disk) or a damaged cd (top is scratched not bottom).

Can you give the exact error you get word for word? That makes it much easier to identify.

7. CGI

CGI Thread Starter

Well I did have Daemon tools on but i've had that on for a good while without problems.
    I can't actually see any errors as as soon as it boots up it asks me how do I want it to boot up; Safe mode, Last good known config etc etc, and no matter which one I chose ti won't work.

When I chose Start Windows Normally it brings up the XP Screen with the loading bar at the bottom, then it quckly flickers on to a blue screen then reboots back to square one. I've tried finding something on the blue screen but as far as I can make out it just says Error has been detected or something, really can't make anything out it flickers that quick.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/670313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice