1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble starting XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mgbkab, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mgbkab

mgbkab Thread Starter

For the past few months I've had a recurring problem. Every once in a while my computer would freeze up. My pointer wouldn't move nor would my keyboard do anything. The three finger salute would do nothing. I believe once I had a file downloading and it continued, but I couldn't do anything. Eventually I'd have to push the power button until it the computer turned off.

Usually it would then start up no problem, once in a while my sound driver would be corrupted. This started to happen more and more often. Usually when I left IE open with my pointer on a page without doing anything for a bit.

Then one time after a freeze I got a msg no hard drive. I tried again and it booted ok. Then I got that msg and it wouldn't go away so I made sure the power and data cable was seated really well and the rebooted and it worked.

This is my second hard drive. I had the original one go out and I replaced it with this one. Now I'm starting to think that maybe nothing was wrong with that hard drive and that I might have a problem with the motherboard.

But this is not the reason I'm posting today. I just wrote that to give a background. A couple days ago after not freezing for a quite a while my computer frooze up again. I had to manually turn off the power but when I rebooted right after the splash screen when the screen goes blank and then your desktop appears mine didn't appear. Instead the screen went black and it shows a msg 'No video'.

I rebooted and took the option to restore to the last known good configuration but the same thing happen. So I manually turn off the power and this time I start in safemode with networking. It starts in there no problem.

I then did a clean boot following the instructions I found on microsoft.com. Same thing happens. This surprise me because since it was loading the minimum I thought it'd be about the same as starting it safemode?

Something I didn't mention in my configuration when I registered is I have a SATA board but no SATA hard drive installed because I couldn't get it to work. I do use the USB ports and have a hard drive hooked to one of them and it's working fine.

I'm at a lost what to try next. I don't know where my XP cd is, but am thinking that is probably my next course of action. I also remember the last time when I was done reinstalling XP not being able to find me key for it. When I open 'System' through CP on the first tab it shows some numbers under being registered to me, is that my key? It looks like the numbers I entered. Does anyone know?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!

2. mgbkab

mgbkab Thread Starter

I just wanted to mention I also tried a couple more restore points before trying the clean boot without any luck.

3. mgbkab

mgbkab Thread Starter

I haven't got a reply so I'm bumping this to hopefully get a reply.

This is so frustrating because it goes all the way until the final splash screen when the animated bar goes to the right and finishes and then goes blank like normal. What happens after that just before the desktop shows? I see my CD access and then nothing, no video.

Thanks again!

4. mgbkab

mgbkab Thread Starter

By putting /basevideo in my boot.ini I was able to start windows. I tried updating my video driver with one I know is good and a version I used before this happen but when I try to switch to a higher resolution the same thing happens I just get a no signal from my monitor and I have to manually turn off my monitor. So I can get into regular windows but only with a 8 bit base video driver.

I also tried to update my monitor driver but same thing.

I haven't received any help here yet. I'm not complaining, I understand that it's busy here and also no one might know what to do, but I have got a lot of help here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WinXPHelp

Just in case someone else can't get help here they might try there.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

How about trying another video card since this one apparently is not doing the job. If the video card on the computer is an on-board card when you put in the new one or used one the on-board will be disabled automatically.

6. mgbkab

mgbkab Thread Starter

I may have to do that.

Do you think my video card might have been what was freezing my computer up before? I could see the screen but everything was frozen.

Thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/502774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice