Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble turning on Resizable Bar

9K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  CheesusChrist 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210419114118.000000-240
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 24
Total Physical RAM: 64 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (547 GB Free); D: 931 GB (885 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, s/n M80-DB010501040
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I am having trouble getting resizable bar activated on my sysytem. F ar as i know i have downloaded & flashed my motherboard with updated bios, have newest nvidia drivers. turned it on in MoBo bios settings. but not turned on in nvidia system settings. any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 ·
Is CSM disabled? I believe that is required for resizable bar.

But if CSM is enabled for you, you need to make sure you are not booting Windows in CSM/BIOS/Legacy mode. It must be in UEFI mode, or Windows won't boot when you disable CSM.

Take a look at Disk Management. If the drive with your C partition has an EFI Partition (formatted FAT32, most likely), then you are capable of doing a UEFI-only boot with CSM disabled.

Can also right click on Disk X that contains the C partition in bottom pane on left of Disk Management window, select Properties, Volumes tab, and look for Partition Style of GPT. GPT is required for a UEFI-only boot. If it says MBR there, that disk will not boot without CSM enabled. You would need to convert MBR to GPT. Microsoft does have a tool (MBR2GPT) that can do this without data loss.

System Information (msinfo32) can also tell you if you are in BIOS/Legacy or UEFI mode.

#3 ·
Is CSM disabled? I believe that is required for resizable bar.

But if CSM is enabled for you, you need to make sure you are not booting Windows in CSM/BIOS/Legacy mode. It must be in UEFI mode, or Windows won't boot when you disable CSM.

Take a look at Disk Management. If the drive with your C partition has an EFI Partition (formatted FAT32, most likely), then you are capable of doing a UEFI-only boot with CSM disabled.

Can also right click on Disk X that contains the C partition in bottom pane on left of Disk Management window, select Properties, Volumes tab, and look for Partition Style of GPT. GPT is required for a UEFI-only boot. If it says MBR there, that disk will not boot without CSM enabled. You would need to convert MBR to GPT. Microsoft does have a tool (MBR2GPT) that can do this without data loss.

System Information (msinfo32) can also tell you if you are in BIOS/Legacy or UEFI mode.
Thank you for the help, I checked the msinfo32, & it is in uefi boot. still can not get it it to enable resizable bar. I appreciate any other recommendations to try & remedy my situation. thank you,

#7 · (Edited)
You would need to install either MSI Center, MSI Dragon Center, or MSI Live Update 6 from here:
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/support/GeForce-RTX-3070-VENTUS-3X-OC#down-utility&Win10%2064

and use that to update the firmware/BIOS of the GPU. Should be able to uninstall this after the update if you don''t want the bloat they can bring.

If you did that, and resizable bar still shows as a no in System Info in the NVIDIA control panel then it must be due to it being unsupported on Ryzen 3900X with an NVIDIA GPU.

Resizable bar (or SAM - Smart Access Memory) is supported on Ryzen 3000 series with some AMD GPUs, and thus the potential for confusion exists.

More info from NVIDIA here (but do not use the firmware tool here, use MSIs):
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165

#8 ·
You would need to install either MSI Center, MSI Dragon Center, or MSI Live Update 6 from here:
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/support/GeForce-RTX-3070-VENTUS-3X-OC#down-utility&Win10%2064

and use that to update the firmware/BIOS of the GPU. Should be able to uninstall this after the update if you don''t want the bloat they can bring.

If you did that, and resizable bar still shows as a no in System Info in the NVIDIA control panel then it must be due to it being unsupported on Ryzen 3900X with an NVIDIA GPU.

Resizable bar (or SAM - Smart Access Memory) is supported on Ryzen 3000 series with some AMD GPUs, and thus the potential for confusion exists.

More info from NVIDIA here (but do not use the firmware tool here, use MSIs):
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165
I appreciate the help I have MSI live update. so it has to be because my 3900x so hopefully they will include it in a future update. Thanks again for the advice & tips

#10 ·
I am doing some reading online about a new update for Ryzen 9 3900x cpu that says it enables Resizable bar. i am a total PC noob my setup is in the thread. if anyone can help i would appreciate it. I have tried in past but update was not compatible & I'm still not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.