1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble uninstalling an app.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zeimet1, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeimet1

zeimet1 Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to remove a program from the Add/Remove programs list?

I recently had a problem with a game, Far Cry, and since I was done with it anyway I tried to uninstall it -- but it gave me an error. (I forget the actual text, something about a missing file.) So I went ahead and trashed the application folder manually.

The program is gone, but it still appears in my add/remove programs menu. I guess I have a couple of questions:

1) Did I do the wrong thing by trashing the folder?
    2) How can I remove it from my add/remove programs manu?
    3) Should I re-borrow the game from my friend, reinstall it, then uninstall it again? I worry about junk remaining in my registry.

Thanks!

Zeimet

2. nooter

nooter

3. zeimet1

zeimet1 Thread Starter

Interesting software, but it didn't help me. I ran Regcleaner, but "Far Cry" doesn't appear in the listing, neither by Author name or Software name. But it looks like a good program for general cleaning.

Any other ideas? Anyone know where in the registry lists Add/Remove Software programs?

Zeimet

4. zeimet1

zeimet1 Thread Starter

Oh, nevermind. I see what you mean now -- you can simply remove that program from the list. Done! Thank you for the suggestion. I cleaned up some other things while I was at it.

5. nooter

nooter

Hope that took care of your problem. Also under the tools tab you can do an automatic registry cleaner and take out any unused entries in your registry.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice