1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble using wireless router with DSL service

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gary335, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

I have been trying for weeks to get my DSL service to work satisfactorily with my wireless router, and I just cannot figure out what the problem is.

Here's the situation: My brother and I are trying to share the DSL service usng a router, because we both want to be able to use the internet simultaneously. I am connecting using a wireless NIC, while he will be hardwired into the router. When we try this, it works well enough for me....the connection drops occassionally which is a pain, but I can live with it. My brother on the other hand plays alot of online games like CounterStrike and Guild Wars, and he tells me that the lag is unbearable its so bad, and that his connection drops repeatedly. I've tried talking to Verizon (our ISP) but they have informed me that they do not support wireless routers, or rotuers of any type for that matter, so they are of little help.

Does anyone here have any idea how I might be able to achieve a satisfactory connection using the router, or is it totally impossible? I understand that alot of folks with DSL find that they have a hard time using a router, so perhaps someone here has been in this situation and knows how to solve it. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Specs:

Westell 6100 series DSL modem
    Belkin F5D6231-4 802.11b wireless router

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes an incorrect MTU size can cause such problems--at least the slowness. Some people say to just change from 1500 to 1492 or vice versa, but the following tells how to test for the proper value.

On your router there should be an option for mtu. use this fourmula.

To find the proper MTU Size, you'll have to do a special ping of the
    destination you're trying to go to. A destination could be another
    computer, or a URL.

1. Click on the Start button, then select the Run option.

2. In the "Open" field type in command (If you're using Windows
    2K/NT/XP use CMD instead)

3. Once the window opens, you'll need to do a special ping. It
    should be formatted:

ping [-f] [-l] [MTU value] [Enter] an e...rom this into the MTU settings on the router.

3. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Also, just a quick thought, does the internet preform satisfactorly (or some word like that...) when your brother connects his computer directly into the modem and does not use the router? It is possible that you don't notice the slowness of the connection because you don't use the internet the way your brother does, but that the internet itself is slow.

4. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

TreyDawg, when either my brother or I are connected directly to the modem, the internet runs much faster, no doubt about it.

Terry, thanks for those instructions. I have looked into the MTU and I think that I have found the optimum setting.

I think I have fixed the problem. It seems that setting the modem to bridge mode and then setting the router for PPPoE has taken care of the problem. My brother works until 5 so when he comes in I'll see if he is able to play his games any better. Hopefully he'll approve.:D

5. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Ok, I didn't think that was the issue, but some people never check simple stuff, and find they do lots of work for no reason...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice