1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble Win98 networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TimD, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimD

TimD Thread Starter

to make a long story short I had internet connection sharing working on two comps, and the one that was connected to the cable modem got jacked up. On top of that my ISP just updated the system in the area adding to the confusion

Linksys nic = connected to cable modem
    D-Link = connected to my hub
    netgear 8 port hub

other computer connected to the hub as well

so anyways, i take net connection sharing completely off my computer. I get my cable modem settings right on the linksys. Then i check out my network and it's not seeing my other comp. Both comps have file&print sharing connected, and both are in the same workgroup.

i've tried everything i know(including checking all the connections), and the two computers just will not see each other.

2. Dlauk

Dlauk

did you check for client for microsoft networks
    in network properties.

3. bubbalouie

bubbalouie

no place like the basics, usually thats where the problem usualy lies, seeing as your running 98 and using a hub I assume you've got your network protocols loaded. In your case you probably have to have Netbuei and TCP/IP. With Netbuei all the computers will see each other as long as they have a proper network path, Of course you mentioned a cable modem, many cable isp's require you use DHCP so do you have your machines set up for DHCP or are you using assigned address's? Good chance you inability to see each other lies in this area.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice