1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with CPU temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OverHeated, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OverHeated

OverHeated Guest Thread Starter

I am having what seems to be a severe problem with CPU temp. Or at least I believe I am. I have checked in my BIOS as well as monitored my system with Mobo Manager. The difficulty I am having is that there are 3 seperate heat sensors and I am unsure which is for which.. I could guess by the temps but it just seems too hot. While not gaming my sensors are testing at 58C 51C and 29C. Can this 58C really be my cpu when I have 5 case fans in addition to power supply fan and heatsink? Any advice besides getting a new heatsink? Thanks in advance for any help!

PC Specs.

AMD XP 2100+
    512 MB DDR 2100
    1x 60g [email protected]
    GeForce MX 440SE
    2xInward fans 3xOutward fans
    Stock AMD HSF

2. Crylynx

Crylynx

Hi there

I am not a pro at this but when the heatsink was installed was there a proper compound used between the cpu and heatsink? It is used to draw the heat from the cpu to the heat sink. Hope this helps and good luck.

Crylynx

3. OverHeated

When I installed the hsf I was relatively new to the whole hardware scene. I just followed the step by step but there was no compund. This is a must?

4. Crylynx

Crylynx

Well I have installed only a couple cpu's and there was a heatsink compound which made the two contact evenly. There is some kind of rubber on the heatsinks now to. But I still used the compound, and have had no troubles with temp. current system p4 2g, two case fans and powerfan. Hope this helps you.

Crylynx

5. OverHeated

Have you ever heard of a Power SUpply sensor? I am monitoring 3 sensors and i dont know what the 3rd is... I know 2 are CPU and MB but what is the 3rd.. and if it is power should it be hotter than mobo?

6. OverHeated

another question is how do i determine which sensor is where in my case? are the winbonds 1&2 my cpu and board?

7. Crylynx

Crylynx

Wish I could help you further but you could go into your bios and check the cpu temp there then board if offered to determine which is which. I don't think you are really running to hot either may be go check the specs on your processor. It should have max temps there, My temp on the intel is supposed to be stable at 68C.

Crylynx

8. optimummind

optimummind

To my knowledge, that CPU temperature isn't "bad." AMD processors are known to get hot really fast and that's relatively okay. Instead of relying on sensors, why don't you buy a thermal compound like Article Silver and apply it between your heatsink and fan and the CPU? I have applied the compound myself and coupling it with my Thermaltake cooler, I have overclocked my 1.8GHz Intel CPU to 2.01GHz.

9. madbadger

madbadger

My Athlon XP1900+ used to reach 68deg C when playing UT 2003, UNTIL I got a Volcano 7+ cooler (bit noisy) and some good thermal compound. Temp now 48deg C when gaming, 42 idle.

Athlons will run to a max temp of 95 deg C according to the AMD website........but I wouldn't test it out :)

MB

10. OverHeated

I have just acquired a Tt Volc.7+ and some Artic Silver compound. They seem to be the popular choices. I am going to put them on and I will let you all know what i am running @. Tanks for the help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!