1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with docking stations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deepkent, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deepkent

deepkent Thread Starter

I have been having all kinds of trouble accessing disks in docking stations through USB hubs and connected direct to my computer.

The two docking stations concerned are:

Coltech CE606CU3 USB 3.0 HDD Dual Bay Docking Station for 2.5" and 3.5" SATA hard drives
    Inateck Dual Two Bays USB 3.0 Hard Drives External Docking Station

The two hubs I have used are:

EasyAcc® USB 3.0 7 Port hub bus-powered and self-powered 2-in-1 hub
    Inateck® 5-Port USB 3.0 Hub (USB 3.0 4-Port Hub + One 5V 2A Charging Port)

I am using plain SATA internal disks in the docking stations, the latest of which is a WD Green 4TB Desktop Internal SATA Hard Drive.

I have tried every conceivable combination:

one disk in one slot of docking station
    two disks in both slots
    both of the above connected via both hubs and connected direct to the computer (always using USB 3 ports)
    switching on docking station after every possible method of connection
    switching on and then connecting docking station after making every possible connection

And the result is always the same. The longest period I have been able to access any disk in any docking station is less than an hour, and then it disappears from Computer and from Disk Management - usually while doing a long backup. (Backup is the reason I bought the WD disk.) But the problem relates to any disk I use, in both docking stations and via both USB hubs or connected direct to computer.

Recently, when switching on the (connected) Coltech docking station I have got the usual MS two-tone sound denoting connection, but it just goes on repeating itself ad nauseam. It won't stop until I switch off the unit, and the disk inside NEVER shows up (even momentarily) while the sound goes on. I did try to attach a recording of this noise, but apparently audio files are not allowed.

Can anyone please point me in a direction I have not thought of? Thank you.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you tried connecting the docking stations without using a hub?

USB hubs are bad enough, but USB3 devices, especially HDD's, are very finicky about cable type/quality, cable length, and the use of hubs.

I've seen several issues with USB3 external drives which ship with really short USB3 cables which are almost useless. But when swapping to a longer cable, the drive doesn't function or perform properly.

3. deepkent

deepkent Thread Starter

Thanks, but I was careful to say I had connected both docking stations direct to the computer - i.e., without the hubs - and had exactly the same problem.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    This seems to be a common complaint in the Customer Reviews ????
    Is there a Coltech support site ???

5. deepkent

deepkent Thread Starter

The important thing is that I have this problem with BOTH docking stations - Coltech and Inatech; so it must be something to do with windows or how my computer handles USB3. But I have updated the USB3 facility on the motherboard, without any detectable effect.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you contacted the motherboard support or searched for USB3 issues with that motherboard? Several USB3 chipsets are known to have issues, especially the first boards (as is almost always the case) equipped with USB3 controllers.

I'm not familiar with either of those brands. And even though they are different brands, they could use the same controller chip. Thus effectively making them the same unit.

7. deepkent

deepkent Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I will try to update the motherboard firmware, and let you know how I get on.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!