1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with docking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LCalder865, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LCalder865

LCalder865 Thread Starter

Compaq LTE 5300 laptop
    Windows 95
    Pentium I
    32 MB RAM
    133 MHZ
    1.26 GB

I have a laptop that has a docking station. I was given to my son by a friend. It was setup on a network. As long as you do not dock it, it works fine. When you dock it to try to use the CD ROM it asks for a network password. If you press enter it goes away but the computer is frozen up. I have to shut it down to do anything else. We do not know what the password is or how to find out. We are not sure that is what the problem is. Does anyone have any ideas on this.

2. stod73

stod73

Are there two (or more) hardware profiles? If so, try deleting the "docked" profile and let it recreate the next time you boot with the laptop in the docking station.

3. LCalder865

I know nothing about laptops. How do I find the docked profile?

4. stod73

stod73

It's been a while since I looked at Win95 but I think you can right click on the "My Computer" icon and choose properties. One of the tabs should hardware profiles.

BTW~ The Windows help file is actually pretty helpful for looking up problems. Give it a try....

5. LCalder865

Okay let me see what I can find.

6. LCalder865

When it did the new profile it did not detect the CD ROM. I am doing a hardware detection. The first time I tryed to detect it, it did not find it. There is a disk in the drive and it will not let me get it out. Should that make a difference?

7. stod73

stod73

Is the drive removable? If so, try reseating it in the laptop with the laptop turned off. Then try the device detection. Shouldn't matter that there is a cd in it. There should be a pin sized hole on the front of the cd drive, you can push a paper clip in this hole to manually eject the cd.

8. LCalder865

Worked like a charm. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!