1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with "Documents and Settings" Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Arizona guy, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arizona guy

Arizona guy Thread Starter

I had just reverted my computer from Windows Vista to Windows XP. If you need further explanation, here is the link for the post that I had sent over a month ago.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/601888-windows-xp-keeps-restarting.html.

Thankfully, when I had to manually delete Windows Vista (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168), I didn't have to use a boot disk (though I obtained one) and Windows XP Home SP2 started up normally.

What I did notice was that the Documents and Settings folder was (and is) completely empty, and I can't access it. So, I can't access "All Programs", My Documents (from the Documents and Settings folder), and the wallpaper is blank.

I have the Documents and Settings folder in Windows.old, but apparently that didn't transfer successfully back to the C: drive.

I cannot replace it (like copying the "Documents and Settings" folder from windows.old and replacing it on the C drive), as it'll tell me "Access Denied". I also found that I couldn't adjust the security settings for access to the folder from safe mode as Administrator, as the only options were General and Sharing, and no "Security" tab.

Tweak UI refuses to install on the computer (the Windows XP version). I still think that it's possible to redirect the folder to the one in Windows.old.

And, when I tried the boot CD, I selected Repair Installation off of the menu, and all I got was "C:Windows>", like a command prompt. I don't think that it's supposed to be doing that.

Is there any way possible that I could redirect the Documents and Settings folder to the one in the Windows.old folder? What about forcing the computer to replace it?

I would greatly appreciate the help, as I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to smash the damned box.

Thanks,
    Arizona guy

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Arizona guy

As much as I would like to, I can't take ownership of the folder. The security tab simply does not appear on the "Documents and Settings" folder.

It appears on other folders, but not this one.

4. Arizona guy

If you need more description on what happens, a few windows pops up when I log in.

It says: "Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory. This may be caused by insufficient security right. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator."

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. DETAIL-The system cannot find the path specified."

"C:\Documents and Settings\(Name)\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

And how do I fix the problem on the repair installation with the boot disk I borrowed from somebody else?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think (not sure) that with XP Home you need to use SAFE mode to do the Take Ownership procedure.

That command prompt you got on the attempted repair install is correct; but see the following.

Repair Install

(From a JohnWill post)

All you do is boot from the CD. When it asks if you want to repair and to press "R", don't. Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time.

You will then get a license agreement and it will ask you to press F8 to agree. Right after that screen, you will see a list of Windows installations that setup found. It will ask if you want to repair it. Read the directions on that page!!!

Then, you will actually press "R" this time and XP will re-install.

When done, you will be back to your familiar desktop with everything looking just like it did before. But all your Windows Updates are gone and you will need to get those again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!