1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with GameSir G4s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mvelders, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvelders

mvelders Thread Starter

I’m having an issue with this controller I’ve had for a few years – a GameSir G4s. It’s actually a really nice little XBox style RF/Bluetooth/Wired USB/Android/PS4 gamepad, but for some reason when my system SSD took a crap recently and I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new one, this controller that’s always worked has been giving me problems.

After I got everything reinstalled – that last of which was Steam and my handful of games, I started playing a game and the character was moving before I touched the stick. I thought let me look for the manual and see if there’s something you can do to calibrate it. No luck. Did some Googling and there wasn’t really much about it other than the basics of hooking it up (which is just plug the USB dongle into a USB port, turn on the controller and let Windows do it’s thing… no software came with it nor can I find any specific driver online), but I decided to go down the path of driver update anyway. The only thing I could find for this controller was an article recommending downloading Driver Talent and letting it find the appropriate driver.

Since then I haven’t been able to get the thing to work at all in any game, and to be honest, I don’t think it installed any driver related to the controller. I noticed that Windows recognizes it as an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows. I’ve never delved all that deeply into how to get down into the nitty gritty of drivers. I was in the hardware area of the field when I first started, but in the mid 90s I went into web and database development with a sprinkle of software development. To be honest, I don’t recall what this controller appeared as in Devices and Printers before, and I don’t see it at all in Device Manager. Oddly enough, as I finish writing this, I noticed that when the controller itself is powered off, but the dongle plugged in, it appears in Devices and Printers as Gamesir-G4 1.00. It also appears that way if I turn it on in “Android” (or Bluetooth) mode (holding the green A button while turning it on by holding the home button for a second).

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 65476 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (704 GB Free); D: 7451 GB (2381 GB Free); F: 9313 GB (4972 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P9X79 PRO
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!