1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with icons and headers

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ba, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ba

ba Thread Starter

I have windows 98 2nd ed. My problem started after defragging. After I restarted my computer it still stayed in safe mode. I tried to fix it in customize my desktop under settings. That is when the problem started. I got the message that I need ed 256 colors 8-bit. I tried the 256 colors and restarted my computer. This was wrong so I tried all settings and finally settled on high color 16bit. Not perfect but colors are close but icons and text are too large. I know the answer must be simple but I don't know it. Please help.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Have a look in display properties>Settings.
    Look at the slider for ScreenArea. If it's at 480x600. that's it. Slide it to the right to the next notch. See if that is any better.

3. ba

ba Thread Starter

Thanks Mosaic1, but that does not work. I tried moving it 2 notches and they both made the whole desktop smaller.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What are the numbers please?

5. ba

ba Thread Starter

640x480, 800x600, 1040x768, I have it on 640x480

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That's the problem.
    Try it at 800 x600

7. ba

ba Thread Starter

800x600 and 1040x768 make the desktop only a portion of the screen. I need to try something else.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the problem just happened in the last 3 or 4 days you can restore a previous registry. To try this, go to start>shutdown>restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a prior started registry from one of the first 4 you see. There is a 5th one (hidden) if that is the only one which predates the problem, cancel out and ctrl -alt -del to restart windows. To restore that one requires a little more work. It will be overwritten if you select anything else.

A registry dated on the day of the problem can be selected, since the dates represent the registry on the first boot of the day.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice