1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with Iomega zipcd 650 4x4x6 usb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by felinemerv, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. felinemerv

felinemerv Thread Starter

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me. I am a bit of a novice so it may be a very obvious answer! I recently purchased an Iomega zip cd 650 usb. I didn't get any software with it but have connected it up and it has been recognized by my computer, which has windows 2000.

Unfortunately,the drive won't read any disks, every time i put a disk in it starts to read and then locks up the whole system whilst it spins and then stops again. As soon as I eject the disk system unlocks again.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi felinemerv, Welcome to TSG!
    You might try going to Iomegas web site or where you got the drive to see if they have the drivers for it. It sounds to me like the drivers are not correct.

3. slipe

slipe

I have no experience with USB external burners so I might be off base here. Internal IDE or SCSI cd writers require no drivers. Windows loads whatever is necessary when the device is detected.

Do other USB devices work OK on your computer? Right click My Computer>Properties>Device Manager. Any yellow exclamation marks or red Xs that might indicate a problem? Double left click on the CDROM heading. Is the Iomega listed? As what? If it isn’t under CDROM, is it under any other listing in device manager?

Iomega evidently doesn’t do firmware updates. If the unit is not compatible with Win2k there isn’t really too much you can do as Roxio reports that the unit is not even flashable.

If your USB bus is OK and the unit will not act as a normal CD-ROM there isn’t much you are going to be able to do IMHO. Confirm the CDs that are locking it up are normal factory pressed audio or program CDs and not CDR or RW media – either blank or recorded. If you can get it working as a normal CD-ROM then I can link you to some free software that you should be able to write CDs with.

4. felinemerv

felinemerv Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I'm still no further on so I hope this information helps!

I have dowloaded the latest updates from iomega which should include any necessary driver updates.

My modem is connected via usb and installed and is working fine. In device manager i do have a yellow exclamation mark which is next to PCI device (I don't know what this is but i hope it's relevant ) for which the drivers aren't installed and it cannot find a compatible driver on my system.

The drive is listed on device manager under cd/dvd roms and is listed as Iomega zip cd 650 usb usb device and it says it is working properly and is located on usb mass storage device.

I have also checked with iomega who say that it is compatible with win2k. The cds I tried to read were program cds and audio cds. I am completely stuck so i hope this extra info might shed some light on the problem

Ta very much

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!