1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble with lap top

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrissie2, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrissie2

chrissie2 Thread Starter

Hi hope I've got the right place, my Husband had to reinstall windows today as he found a lot of spyware and a keylogger on his lap top, now everytime he puts the install disc in it just turns itself off, he has tried about 4 times but it will only get so far and then turn off. Any suggestions please

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In the absence of any additional data, I've moved this over to hardware.

How about the make/model of the laptop, as well as the version/patch level of the Windows in use. Finally, what "install disk" are you talking about? Is this a restore disk that comes with many laptops, or a standard Windows installation CD?

3. rolandk10

rolandk10

You say it get's so far and then turns off. Windows requires a reboot at one point in the install. If you don't click to restart, it will do so automatically. At this point, you need to make sure the system boots off the hard drive and not the cd to continue setup.

Like John said, more information will help us furnish you with a better solution.

4. chrissie2

chrissie2 Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the replys, in the end he had to take the battery out and just use the mains lead that seemed to work. Not sure if you actualy need to have a battery in a lap top or if you keep it out for a long time something bad will happen, anyone know?

5. rolandk10

rolandk10

If your laptop will run without a battery, (not all will), then it's fine to run it that way. There is a slight voltage hike in the power supply compared to what you need to run the laptop that is there for charging but I've never know that to be the cause of a failed laptop. Someone else may have a different expierence though.

6. chrissie2

chrissie2 Thread Starter

thanks for that:D so far its been fine without the battery just using the power supply, I suppose in the end I will have to fork out 70 quid for a new one though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice