1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble with master and slave HD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leonerd, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leonerd

leonerd Thread Starter

Hey everyone, 1st post here. I had a friend install a slave HD on my PC that he took from his old Mac. He used a program called "macdrive" and set everything up. I was having a really huge spyware and virus issue so I decideding to format. After I did my cpu was still freezing and slowing down way more then before even with spyware. So I unplugged the slave which was from my friends old Mac and tried to restart but on reboot it could find any hard drives. I got a friend to check them out and they show up in his Bios and in his device manager but not in "My Computer". So I decided to just buy a new 200gig seagate. I removed both my old master and slave drives and installed the new seagate as my master but it won't let me use all 200gigs, it said I can only use 127 gigs because I needed an XP OS with sp1 atleast before I could use this new hard drive to its full potential and when I updated it would automatically allow me to use the rest on the unused hard drive... sorry if kind of confusing.

My questions are...
    1. How can I enable the rest of the 200gig hard drive?
    and
    2. Is there anything I can do to get my old hard drives back?

Thanks ahead for any help and advice you might have

-will

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Will, actually as you are aware you have a number of problems and each needs to be separately addressed.
    I feel you might make another post about the 200 gig drive at a later time and consider the problem with the other drives as the more important.

You might fit the original hard drive in the original orientation so that the initial system can be analysed.
    You might also have a read of another post on this site. http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/486379-problems-reformatting-harddrive-prior-attempts.html

The reason I mention this will become apparent shortly.

You original problem kind of indicates there may be some problem with your basic machine, so if we can restore the thing physically to the previous best known original operating arrangement we can begin troubleshooting from there.

So only fit your original hard drive and set everything as normal, ensure the BIOS is seeing your old main hard drive.

If so, try the HDDRegen program I mentioned in the other post.

If you cant see the hard drive we may need a different tack, there is a possibility other hardware in your machine may be affected.

Was it imperitive to save anything on that other hard drive.
    qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice