trouble with new computer, winxp won't startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dohnutman

I just put together my new system and now I can't seem to get winxp to startup. I wanted to transfer everything on my 160 gig IDE hd(NTFS) onto one of the 250 gig sata hd so I can format it and install winxp on it (my old system doesn't have sata connection. so the first thing I tried was to import my old hd (Fat32 IDE) with win xp. Once it hits the windows logo/welcome screen (or when it should pop up) the system restarts. So I tried taking another hd (Fat32 IDE) from another computer with winxp and the same problem occurs.

I got so frustrated that I tried to install winxp on a spare 20gig hd but I got an error message "NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart".

I thought it might have been a problem with the sata drives not being raided so I removed my 2 sata hd's. I retried everything and still no progress. The only way I've found to get windows xp to load would be to either install it on my 160 gig IDE hd but then I would lose all the data (I tried partitioning it, managed to free up 9 gigs) but for some reason it won't allow me to partition it. I've also thought about just installing it on one of the 250 gig sata drives but when I tried to do that the system always hung at trying to load the DMI, essentially preventing me from booting up from my winxp cd.

Current system specs

EPoX EP-9NDA3J Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX
SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 256M Radeon 9600 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
2x WD 250gig (SATA) hds

dohnutman

I'd prefer to have the 20 gig hd serve as the boot drive, just so i can use the 160 gig hd as a slave drive and transfer them over to the satas, but at this point, I'll settle for anything but the sata drives (which I want to use for data storage).

Just some general comments which you may already know and may not apply but I just couldn't tell. You can't take a hard drive with WinXP on it and put it in a new system. Windows will hang and not boot. Sometimes Windows will give you the NTLDR message if the drive has an operating system on it. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Windows does not have SATA drivers for your motherboard. If you are using them as backup you can install the drivers from the MB CD using device manager. If you want to install Windows on them using the WinXP CD you need to hit F6 when asked to load the drivers from a floppy which contains the drivers from the MB CD. Sorry if this doesn't answer your question.

dohnutman

norton850 said:
Just some general comments which you may already know and may not apply but I just couldn't tell. You can't take a hard drive with WinXP on it and put it in a new system. Windows will hang and not boot. Sometimes Windows will give you the NTLDR message if the drive has an operating system on it. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Windows does not have SATA drivers for your motherboard. If you are using them as backup you can install the drivers from the MB CD using device manager. If you want to install Windows on them using the WinXP CD you need to hit F6 when asked to load the drivers from a floppy which contains the drivers from the MB CD. Sorry if this doesn't answer your question.
I kinda figured that out after further research... as for the sata hds, windows does recognize them, but oddly, only as 131 gig hd's, yet, it recognizes my 160gig hd as a 160. Unfortunately, i don't have the drivers for the sata's as newegg kinda just packaged them as is ($100 a pop).

valis said:
for the ntldr error check here:

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

that will fix at least that....I have no clue on the sata issues.

v
the funny thing about the ntldr error is that the drive doesn't contain an os, just some useless files (i didn't bother with formating because the windows installation would've done so anyway). I guess I'll format it to clear up any issues.

I'm thinking about doing the the really really hard way, which is to bootup from an old windows startup disk, and then install windows 98 on the 20 gig hd. From there, I'll upgrade it from the win 98 os to winxp, which I hope will resolve the issue. Unless someone out there has a simpler idea, I guess I'll have to give this a shot.

valis

how many installs of xp are we talking here, on how many systems, with how many original disks, just out of curiosity?

dohnutman

valis said:
how many installs of xp are we talking here, on how many systems, with how many original disks, just out of curiosity?
Are you referring to how many systems I have or how many I'm trying to install on my new one? If you're referring to how many computers I have at my disposal, then the answer is 5, 4 desktops, and 1 laptop. I used to do a little bit of web design so I have several os's install of these computers to test the layouts. Right now, I am trying to get an os on this particular machine with one of 6 hard drives. I have enough space on 2 of them to install windows but, there are complications, one of them the 20 gig, has the ntldr issue although it doesnt have an os, the other, my 160 gig hd, has 9 gigs free but I would have to format the entire disk before windows xp will allow me to install it.

All I want to use it for is to play a few games here and there, store data, and word processing. I plan to have 2 os's on this when I get everything transfered over to the sata's, Windows Xp(maybe vista) and mandriva linux. First thing first, I need to get a windows os on this machine somehow so I can get things running.

valis

my original question included 'how many original windows install disks' are there. I want to make sure that certain piracy laws aren't being violated here. I am sure you understand my concern. That could bring very bad consequences for the site as a whole, and me in specific.

v

dohnutman

I understand your concern. I have ties to a university and I have a key that allows for thousands of registered users. That and I can also purchase a new copy for $5 if need be.

valis

why don't you just format the 20 gig and do a fresh install of xp on it then?

dohnutman

valis said:
why don't you just format the 20 gig and do a fresh install of xp on it then?
I tried that but got the ntldr error message. I guess I can do it again but this time with a full format instead of a quick format. I'll see what happens...

valis

you most likely got the ntldr error because xp is hardware specific.....it looks for the hardware that was on the pc upon which the os was installed.....have you tried repair disk? This is another option for fixing ntldr errors.

dohnutman

Yeah, done that, I've tried almost everything. If all else fails, I guess I can try to burn all the data on my 160 gig hd to dvd and then install winxp on it, which is a little over 40 4.7gig dvds. Should be interesting...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online