1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble with new install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gavincarroll, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gavincarroll

gavincarroll Thread Starter

hi. im having real problems installing windows 7 using disc. the local pc shop were trying to install 7 on my pc as xp got slow. they ran out of time so loaned me the install disc untill monday when there back. i wonder if anyone can give me a step by step tutorial on getting it up and running as im completely useless and it just wont install for me.im clicking the hardrive i want to install it too but its just not happening and i dont know what im doing wrong. realy desperate atm too lol. thanks in advance

2. joeten

joeten

Hi is it a full retail disc or a upgrade

3. gavincarroll

im not sure i think its the retail one as im trying a full reinstall

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Are you booting from the cd?
    explain how far you have made it what the error is you are receiving

5. gavincarroll

the hard drive isnt partitioned apparently. except i have already seen it being installed today for some reason he told me to do it again so as i say im up to the part where you click which hard drive you need to install it on it says 0 1 partitioned i click that as its the only option and press next and nothing happens except i get an error which i cant remember exactly how its worded . i cant get beyond this point x

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

If this is a bare drive
    select the unpartitioned space
    format that space to ntfs
    then just follow the prompts

7. gavincarroll

that cant be it sorry the hard drive has 238GB out of 238GB free space and there is no option to do anythink at all xx

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

9. gavincarroll

is it possible to create a partition with no operating system installed. its my only hardrive so im wondering can it be done in the bios orsomething i realy dont know what to do lol

10. TheChocolate

TheChocolate

Windows 7 install has the option to create partitions. At the point were you need to select a drive there must be something called Advanced Options. Click that and then you can create partitions.

11. gavincarroll

i choose the hardrive i want then click next and i get the message "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. please see the setup log files for more information."
    just cant get past this point. what do i do here

12. gavincarroll

can anyone help me please

13. gavincarroll

hey. i posted last night about the same thing but i wasnt exactly sure what the issue was i was posting but ived worked out the problem now and im looking for some help on fixing it if anyone minds giving it a shot.

im installing windows 7. i can get upto custom install and the point where you choose a partition. i click advanced options and it comes up with a few options such as format/delete/check drivers/refresh but for some reason the (new*) button is greyed out. its saying its unable to create a new partition or find an existing partition on the only hard drive i have which is 233g. does anyone know what this is about and how to fix it id be realy greatful if anyone can help. thanks for reading

14. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Are you installing Win7 on a new hard drive, or installing over the top of an existing system?

If you are installing over an existing drive (e.g. if it had XP on it previously), you should probably click the 'Delete' button first to wipe all the data and remove the partition from the drive. From there, you can create a new partition (one or more, depending on what you want), and format and install from there.

If there is anything important on the drive you want or need to keep, you really should have a backup of it before you proceed.

15. gavincarroll

hmm i might try that. there was xp on the disk but it got totaly wiped. im wondering now if i click delete that harddrive will still be there next time i reboot? if its not and there new button doesnt work still will i be in a worse predicament than now? just want to make sure before i go ahead. ty

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice