1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble with nVidia VIVO (video-in/video-out)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deuce, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the VIVO on my video card. (video-in/video-out) The video card is an Albatron FX 5900 TURBO. (256 MB DDR) On the back of the card there are three ports: one VGA, one DVI, and one VIVO. The VIVO port looks similar to an s-video connection, but instead is for a VIVO adapter. (an s-video cable will not fit because there isn't a little hole for the safety pin that's on an s-video cable) The adapter that plugs into the VIVO port has four connections on it: s-video in, s-video out, composite in and composite out.

I've sat down with this one on a few occasions, and I've never been able to get a signal out to my TV. I've tried using both s-video and composite. I'm running version 8.1.8.5 (the latest release -- 10/10/2005) of Albatron's nVidia driver.

I normally use dual displays, (2 CRT flat screens) but you can only have 2 displays in use at one time. When I try to get the TV display working I switch the displays in use to my primary display (CRT monitor) on VGA and secondary display (TV) on VIVO s-video out.

One issue, which I don't think should matter, is that the VIVO adapter I'm using didn't come with this card. I bought this card from a friend and he lost the original adapter, but gave me the VIVO adapter that came with his notebook. The adapter he gave me looks identical to the picture in the manual for this card. Would it make sense that these VIVO adapters are product specific and need the original adapter to work? It doesn't say anything like that in the manual.

I've made sure the settings are correct in windows and in the nVidia settings, and I can't get a signal to the TV. I know the cable and inputs are good on my TV because I'll get a picture if I hook it up to my notebook's s-video out. I do know that from the manual there is no software required for video-out functionality. (but you need to install a separate driver for video input)

I contacted Albatron a few months ago and never received a response.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike

P4 - 3.0 Ghz
    1 GB DDR
    Albatron FX 5900 TURBO
    ASUS P4C800 Deluxe

Mitsubishi Diamondpoint SB70 (primary display on VGA)
    Compaq P710 (secondary display on DVI using DVI - to - VGA adapter)
    JVC 27" flat screen (secondary display on VIVO)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. I downloaded both of the latest drivers you listed. I actually am seeing a big difference in graphics quality, which is nice, but I'm still having trouble getting a signal to my TV. I'll keep playing with it in a few hours, but so far I'm not getting a signal on the TV. If it helps, in the desktop manager when I select the cable and signal to send, it says that there is no TV detected. Even when the TV is on and the proper input is selected, it still indicates that no TV has been detected.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Maybe its the adapter. BFG sells such cables, didn't see any on Albatron's website.

5. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

That's what I've been thinking. I bought one off of eBay last night; we'll see if it works. Otherwise; early next week we may get a chance to put an OS on the notebook this VIVO adapter came from, and test it that way. Either way I'll check back after I get some place with this. Thanks, Mike.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm not sure if they are all the same, I'm thinking they might not be. I've seen some being sold for ATI cards and they were only for ATI cards but also a 9 pin connector.

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Well, I'm not sure now. They very well could be product specific. The 9-pin connector I bought just came in today and I'm still not getting signal on my TV. It would be nice if Albatron would respond to my inquiries...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/512681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice