1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with projectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clarerick, Oct 2, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. clarerick

clarerick Thread Starter

Any tips on connecting a mini laptop to an unknown projector. I'm having trouble in certain places, getting the screen to show on the projector and on the small laptop (it's tablet size). It sometimes works on 'second screen only' , but ideally I would like to see both screens and it won't do this through the normal channels, e.g. Fn F8. Any tips would be great thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to provide way more info. Is the laptop running Windows or ChromeOS, Android, Linux, something else? If Windows, what version of Windows?

In Windows 10 you would go to Display Settings by right clicking on the desktop and then go Multiple Displays to get a Duplicate option.

If that doesn't help then you will need to look for a model numbers of both the laptop and projector, check the bottom for sticker.

3. clarerick

clarerick Thread Starter

Thanks. It is a Linx laptop (tablet size as I said above) and runs on Windows 10. So far I have tried the duplicate, extend and second screen options via HDMI. (No other port). It connects via a Targus box. I have tried altering the screen resolutions with no success. Model number of the laptop is linx101okbd. I would love any suggestions of how to make this work with any projector or Interactive Whiteboard, or any thoughts as to why it might not work please? Does the size have anything to do with it? Thanks a lot

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is this Targus box you now mention? Is it a dock of some sorts? Does it have a model number?

The laptop only appears to have USB ports. Is it connected to USB to the Targus and then the HDMI comes out of that?

5. clarerick

clarerick Thread Starter

Hi. Yes that's right. It's a connector box that has a usb to connect to the laptop, then has a HDMI and VGA port to connect it to a projector.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's likely the problem, some of these docks or adapters just don't work very well or at all. Or it may need drivers installed for the graphics port to work. Again, it would help if you posted the model number of the Targus box, it most likely has one.

7. clarerick

clarerick Thread Starter

Thank you. I've found the model number of the Tragus Box - it is dock110.

Thanks again

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. clarerick

clarerick Thread Starter

Thanks so much for this. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked. It still won't connect to my projector. I downloaded the driver and it shows as being there but no luck. I have restarted the PC a few times as well. Do you have any other suggestions please? Many thanks

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could buy a better laptop with built in HDMI or DisplayPort buy or a better dock. Maybe a Startech dock or just a USB to HDMI adapter.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice