1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with re-install of XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sto0, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

I just re-installed XP on a different machine. I kept all the files (c:\ etc) but none of the settings seemed to have saved. WHen i tried to set up my internet connection, I couldn't. I think I need to install the drivers for my ethernet and stuff but I am confused.. i dont have any disks and Im not sure exactly what to look for.
    How can I find out what drivers I need and how can I get them working with my newly installed xp? Thanks!

2. tlarseth

tlarseth

Is this a custom computer, or is it one made by a manufacturer like Dell, HP, or the such, if so post the make and model number of the computer, if not do you know what kind of motherboard you have? If so I or another here can help you get those drivers.

To check to see if the ethernet drivers are installed, goto your control panel, click on "Performance and Maintenance", then system. Once there click on the hardware tab, and then the button that says "Device Manager". If they aren't installed it will say network controller or the such with an exclaimation mark before it.

3. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

I have a ASUS p4p800 motherboard. I can see that alot of the drivers need to be installed.. im just un-sure of how to get them with no working internet connection on the machine. If I could get that working im sure windows could find all the drivers I need by itself just by using the net connection.

Im just un-sure of how to get these ethernet drivers!

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You'll have to download the drivers using a computer that has internet access. Then you save them to a CD, flash drive, or external hard drive. Go to ASUS's web site and download chipset drivers and/or ethernet drivers for your motherboard (assuming the ethernet adapter is part of the motherboard).

5. tlarseth

tlarseth

6. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

Well I downloaded the drivers on that site.. I burned the file to a cd, but when I run the setup on my other machine, about 98% done and then it asks for me to insert the cd with setup.iss on it? I tried locating it on the cd I was using and in the extracted files folder with no luck... any clue what I can do?

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Do you have the Windows XP install disk for this machine?

8. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

Yes I do, I used the Windows XP cd to re-install windows on my other machine. I was having trouble with it, so I re-installed XP. My c:\ still has all the files from before I re-installed, but nothing is setup. In start/program files nothing is listed. It just moved all the files over.. which is fine, I just cant get my internet connection going on that machine and I believe i need to install drivers. Once i can get the machine online I can use the connection to update the rest of the drivers for the machine.

Can anyone help me get this machine online?

Appreciate the help! thanks guys

9. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

Still no luck... i've tried downloading a few different sets of drivers and I can't get any internet connection on the machine! I get a "Error 769, The specified destination is not reachable".

Under device manager / Other Devices - it shows that I need drivers for -

Ethernet Controller
    RAID Controller
    etc..

But I can only obtain these by downloading them on this computer and burning them to a disc..... What files do I need to get a working connection????? Thanks

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What happened when you went to ASUS' web site to download drivers????

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

How many computers do you have this Windows install cd installed on?

I was under the impression it is one install per/disk. Please correct me if I am wrong. Is this legal?

12. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

I only have 1 computer with the windows xp pro sp2 cd. The computer I am currently on is my girlfriends laptop, which was setup by her and has nothing to do with the machine I am trying to repair.

I have been searching the ASUS website for the correct drivers, but I haven't had any luck... I tried the link posted in this thread.. but I came accross an error during the installation of those drivers. setup.iss is missing.

I also installed a different set of ethernet drivers, But it must not have been the right drivers because it didn't help. Im kinda lost.. I just need to get a working internet connection so I can d/l the other drivers directly to that computer.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to get the correct drivers, and if you have an ASUS motherboard with built-in NIC, you get the drivers from ASUS's web site. What exactly have you tried that you haven't had luck with? You've located the correct page on their site for your board? You downloaded the drivers? They didn't work? You received an error?

Ignore the link posted by tlarseth. It's for Windows 95.

14. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

Sorry, Im a bit confused because I spent hours last night google'ing for different ethernet drivers. But on the ASUS website, I click on downloads but it is a broken link.

When I google for drivers for the p4p800 asus motherboard, I can't find anything that works.

15. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice