1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with Router; wired connection works but wireless does not

Discussion in 'Networking' started by speeds, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speeds

speeds Thread Starter

The router is a DLink WBR - 2310. I had been receiving internet through a DSL provider, and both wired and wireless connections worked fine. I've hooked up this router, and the wired connection is working by the wireless connection is not. The Wireless Network Connection says that I'm connected, but when I open Firefox with the wireless connection, but no wired connection, no webpages will load. Any thoughts?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    could be a firewal blocking - have you switched off the firewall on the PC

any other PC able to use the wireless connection ?

Do you have wireless encryption enabled - if so try taking that OFF - by logging into router and removing wireless secruity

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download and install
    http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php

Then run the program and post a screen shot of the program running
    To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    ---------------------------

Wireless Profiles
    - Vista:

- delete the wireless profiles
    Start
    control Panel
    classic view
    network and sharing center
    manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
    you will then have to enter the wireless secruity key for any networks you connect to
    --

- XP
    - delete the preferred networks
    start
    control panel
    network connections
    right click on the wireless connection listed
    wireless networks tab
    in the preferred network list
    click on each one and - remove button

you will then have to enter the wireless secruity key for any networks you connect to
    ------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all

-> Start > run {search bar in Vista} > cmd > ipconfig /all
    post back the results here

TWO Methods to do that - if you cannot access the internet with PC, then use method 2 to copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Method ONE -------------------------------------------------------------
    start > run {search bar in Vista} > cmd > ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Method TWO -------------------------------------------------------------

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

------------------------------

3. speeds

speeds Thread Starter

I think I fixed the problem. When I looked at my Internet Protocol properties, I must have at some point manually entered the DNS server addresses for my old router. I didn't remember having done that, I thought it was set to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automaticially". SO I set it to automatically obtain and now it is working. I'm guessing that was the problem, does that make sense? Sorry, I'm a computer novice. Also, should I find and manually enter the DNS server addresses for the new ISP, or should I just leave it as is, set to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automaticially"? Is there an advantage one way or the other?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes

Leave it automatic
    I have had a situation where the internet kept dropping connection and by putting the DNS servers for the ISP into the router settings fixed the issue - this was a known issue on a d-link router, and the recommended fix...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice