1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble with Vista Dual Boot Install

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dccfreak, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dccfreak

dccfreak Thread Starter

I have searched and browsed many posts on this forum as well as using many step by step guides elsewhere on the web, but, I cannot seem to find where anyone has found an answer to this issue.

I have Vista Home Premium on a pc which I just purchased in the past few weeks for my business. I don't mind the overall operation of the system, however, I have discovered that a very important piece of software which is the keystone of my business is not compatible with Vista in the slightest. I therefore tried to create a partition for installation of XP on my drive utilizing directions found online, which went well and as described. The problem I am continually facing is that when I try to install XP, it copies all of the files but when it is ready to launch the installation I get the same BSoD all the time.

I purchased another hard drive thinking that it might be easier and save time to just disconnect my existing HD and start as if I were beginning from scratch. Again, when installation starts, the BSoD appears. I have tried disabling the raid option in the bios and even found a workaround on the Microsoft site regarding the format process in Vista and the need to change registry values to simulate the XP format instead. All of this to no avail. I am running out of things to try and I am beginning to feel some heat from customers as I am being forced to do much of my work from an old pc until I can figure this out.

I have read posts where folks say that third party raid drivers may be needed, but, I am unsure as to what I need drivers for. Is it the mobo, hard drives, chipset drivers??? I am really confused and I am beginning to think that I need to scrap this as a lost cause and give it to my kids but, I really love this pc. I wanted a quad core setup but it was impossible to find one anywhere with XP installed or any new pc with XP for that matter.

If anyone has any ideas at all, I would be most appreciative and humbled by your wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

2. Oily

Oily

Have you tried to run it in compatibility mode.When you right click on the .exe file of the program select "Properties" and then click the "Compatibility" tab and put a check in the box that says "Run this program in compatibility...." in the drop down box use "Windows XP (Service Pack 2).

This might work for you.

3. Masterman10

Masterman10

You can downgrade also to XP and get rid of Vista entirely.

4. Oily

Oily

If you are installing XP to a SATA drive or RAID configuration then you will need to load drivers so that the OS will recognise the hard drives.
    You should be able to download these drivers from the manufactures web site.

5. BMR528

BMR528

DCCFreak

NO NO NO No and NO. Please do not try to dual boot. Use VMware or VirtualPC to create a virtual install of XP on top of the Vista install, Then you can run them both at the same time

D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice